My 13 year old daughter frightened to have teeth fillings!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

My 13 year old daughter was told by the dentist that she needed to have some fillings done. However, as her appointment is approaching she says she is frightened to go through the procedure and the fact that it will 'hurt'.

How can I convince her that it will not be as bad as it sounds?

Does anybody know what is involved in this procedure?

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
I have just come back from the dentist. Once he gave me the injections into my gum. Which I didn't even feel, after that I was there with my mouth open.

You can always go into the room with her to help her feel ca.

Andy

Find someone with dentures & tell your daughter if she dosnt have the filling she could lose her teeth.
Also explain a lot of things in life have a little pain & offer a great benefit.
I hated go to the dentist, but did, probably like most people.
Has she had injections at school/doctors use that as an example.

Sponsored Links
Our Dentist has ultra Modern equiptment than can drill teeth without the need for an injection

Hi Folks

My 13 year old daughter was told by the dentist that she needed to have some fillings done. However, as her appointment is approaching she says she is frightened to go through the procedure and the fact that it will 'hurt'.

How can I convince her that it will not be as bad as it sounds?

Have you watched that film 'Marathon Man'. There's a very reassuring scene in there! :mrgreen:

The dentist will normally numb the area first with a small strip of paper just rubbed on the gum. Then they will inject the gum to make the whole area numb. They then use a coarse drill to remove the decayed parts of the tooth. They will then pack filler into the hole - sometimes a metal clamp is tightened around the tooth to make filling easier. They remove the clamp, let it set for a few minutes then smooth off any rough parts with a metal scraper. They will probably only do one or two fillings at one appointment if they are on the same side of the mouth. The gum and lips will be numb for an hour or so afterwards.

It's never a pleasant experience going to the dentist and although I am not scared of the dentists, I still clamp my hands tightly round the seat when the drill appears. It sounds worse than it is. But, due to modern techniques she will not feel any pain, just a little uncomfortable for a while. The amount of discomfort depends on how good the dentist is. She will have to wear the 'elf N safety' goggles too.

If your dentist is good and gentle, she probably won't worry about going back for further treatment. Ask if you can go in with her for the first time and tell the dentist that she is scared, so that they can talk her through what's being done and reassure her that all is fine.

if your daughter had no experience of pain with her teeth prior to her visit then its very unlikely she will experience any pain, or require a injection, remember the filling will be very shallow and carried out to protect the lower section. your dentist will advise you if you need the gum to be numbed, and yes even at 13 some children think they are grown up!! they need support when facing these things as bad experiences can stay with them for the rest of their lives.

My sister has always been terrified of the dentist (mind you, so am I!) but a few years ago she managed to find a dentist who used hypnosis to put patients at their ease. She found that made a big difference.

I always think that a 'good' dentist is one that can work on your teeth without pulling your mouth over your head. My current dentist (who is NHS) manages to do the work almost by touch alone, so no aching jaw afterwards.

tell her it will cost her a fortune when she becomes an adult.
so get as much work done for free now.
the only thing i feel is my wallet getting mugged by the dentist.

Tell her that it wasn't that long ago when they did fillings without an injection and extractions with gas to knock you out :eek: 1960's . Allright it was long ago but I never forgot it :LOL:

Tell her that it wasn't that long ago when they did fillings without an injection and extractions with gas to knock you out :eek: 1960's . Allright it was long ago but I never forgot it :LOL:

I remember gas as a child.
First, the obnoxious smell.
Then, throwing up in a kidney bowl.

Sponsored Links
Back