My 1st Time

Just had a better look in the light and if the padstones are left there will be 10-15mm from top of padstone to bottom of brick allowing for the bricks not being fully level. So that should allow and 10mm bed to be put on the lintel and then squeezed up to fill the gaps but not leave much of a mortar joint above and circa 10mm of mortar between the padstone and lintel when the steel is jacked up.

If i remove the padstones and replace with the concrete bricks it would increase the gap to play with to approximately 50-60mm. This would allow me to apply a nice bed on top and then room to pack at the bottom. Is that the better option and if so should i just split the gap evenly with mortar bed to the bricks above and the joint the lintel sits on?

Sponsored Links
When you say pack [between padstone and steel] what do you mean? If you’re ok to leave the props in for a couple of days, you can put a full mortar bed in (if the gap is at least say 10mm) and not worry about packing. Packing would be more if you’ve only got a tiny gap to bash some slate into after the mortar has set, or if you’re dry packing in order to remove the props quickly

Sorry i am new to the terminology - i mean push a semi dry mortar in there while it is propped, leave for a few days before removing the props. I will check when the steels turn up today but i think i will be able to get a 10mm joint between padstone and steel if the steel is pushed up tight to the bricks above.

The steel just turned up. I have offered it up and the opening less the height of the steel leaves 10mm. Was thinking i could stick a 10mm bed on top slide it in and jack up to the underside of the bricks leaving roughly a 10mm gap between the padstone and steel to fill with mortar.

Does that sound ok or would you lower the level and give bigger joints between everything?

Sponsored Links
What a night the lintel has been in and out a few times. Padstones had to be removed and bricks installed as there were pinch points that didn’t give the clearance.

How much can you dry pack mortar joint? Is up to 30mm ok

Padstones had to be removed and bricks installed as there were pinch points that didn’t give the clearance.
We rarely install the pad's first. Rather, we fit the beam, complete with mortar on top, then squeeze it into place with a pair of Acrows. We then fit the pads beneath, striving to get them packed tight under the beams with much forcing of mortar under the pads. We use long slender timber wedges to pack the pads tight then force mortar into the bed joint.

1st Lintel went in on thursday and has been propped since. I assume after 4 days now i can remove the props and install the lintel for the external skin of brickwork. Appart from getting the lump in place the exercise of actually installing it went fairly smoothly. 200mm bearing at either end.

Does anything look out of place?

upload_2020-7-21_9-47-10.png

1st Lintel went in on thursday and has been propped since. I assume after 4 days now i can remove the props and install the lintel for the external skin of brickwork. Appart from getting the lump in place the exercise of actually installing it went fairly smoothly. 200mm bearing at either end.

Does anything look out of place?

View attachment 199587
Hard to tell from the picture - how much masonry is sitting on the steel on the outer leaf? I’m just about to order my steels and one has a plate welded to the top to allow both leafs of the brickwork to be supported with only a couple of cm overhanging.

Hard to tell from the picture - how much masonry is sitting on the steel on the outer leaf?

Nothing at the moment. I have a 2nd steel that will be going in this week bolted back to back with the 1st to support the outer skin. That image just shows the steel supporting the inner skin.

Thanks, makes sense.

Are those acros actually supporting anything at the moment? Looks like quite a wide span of unsupported masonry to the left too.

I’m planning acros/strongboys every 900mm

That was a very temporary state while i got the steel in there. It was then fully supported with acrows and strong boys. 3 of them over the 2.5m span

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back