My builder has cut part of the base of my new WC and bidet

Sponsored Links
I don't understand why he cut that.
Are you sure it wasn't already like that?
Also, why did he use that flexi waste?

Because the unit has to be pushed back against the wall to its final location.
Supplies would have clashed with the ceramic bar and you use a flexi to make it easier to plumb up out of situ.

Because the unit has to be pushed back against the wall to its final location.
Supplies would have clashed with the ceramic bar and you use a flexi to make it easier to plumb up out of situ.
There's nothing in the way of that cut part, so no need to remove it.
A little planning would avoid using a flexi in the waste.

Sponsored Links
The flexi will be there to allow fitting then the bidet to be pushed back. Must agree though, if done properly then that waste pipe should be in the wall.
That brace was there for a reason (probably as a side support for when the fitting kit is tightened). As long as the bidet/pan is secured properly then it should be ok. As suggested though it should have been discussed first. Given he has altered them in such a way that I'd be asking for a guarantee written into the invoice.

Was he around as part of the intial design and first fix work? Did he get a proper plumber or is he just a builder, if the latter that'll be why it's been missed as part of the setting out.

Could still have been fixed, rather than cut the support out, as the pipework could still have been put into the wall, any cuts/void would be hidden by the bidet once fitted .... bit of a mug TBH.

sketch-1660906606994.png

Dishonest if he did not tell you, but it does appear the pros do it

Blup

Dishonest if he did not tell you, but it does appear the pros do it

Blup
Oh dear, pros you say? The name pimlico makes me shudder and so does the choice in safety glasses :cool:

Sorry but with proper planning there should be absolutely no need to cut any part of a ceramic toilet pan. All it does is compromise the casting.

There are some things that can be cut and there are some things that shouldn't ever need to be cut IMO.

Oh dear, pros you say? The name pimlico makes me shudder and so does the choice in safety glasses :cool:

Sorry but with proper planning there should be absolutely no need to cut any part of a ceramic toilet pan. All it does is compromise the casting.

There are some things that can be cut and there are some things that shouldn't ever need to be cut IMO.
Well, apparently this is one of the cases in which the "pro" forgot to plan ahead and fitted the waste "somewhere there".
Sometimes a diyer would do a better job in fear of making a mistake and carefully planning ahead.

He's clearly a time served knowledgeable plumber....it's also clear that there are circumstances where it is impractical, without considerable expense, not to cut the porcelain. Don't know where you get pimlico from, or how the safety glasses are relevant. The client should always be advised IMO.

Blup

There are plenty of pans and bidets out there without the moulded bar at the base. And are designed thus, to avoid clashing with first fix plumbing.

I would never expect to have to route a 4" pipe from the floor, up into and out of a wall, just in case the (usually yet-to-be-chosen) pan came with such a brace!

it's also clear that there are circumstances where it is impractical, without considerable expense, not to cut the porcelain
No there isn't. It's called proper planning and setting out that a good pro should always consider. There shouldn't be any instance where cutting a porcelain pan like that is needed ever. If the pipework cant move then that pan should never have been specc'd for that job the way the room's set out.... simples.

I had a closer look at the vid and I stand corrected, I thought they were ordinary yellow glasses he was wearing but they are safety spec.

That MJ Tiff guy is funny.. I watched a few of his vids.

In one of them where he's about to rip out a shower and rebuild he goes on a bit of a rant about people telling him you shouldn't use plasterboard in a wet area but he's been ripping them out and replacing for 20 years and never seen a problem.

His video doesn't show the rip out but in a couple of the shots later on you can glimpse over his shoulder the black mould covered stud work where the shower was. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back