My first green slime!

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Since finding out how green slime occurs, I have been hoping to see some.

I was working under a floor recently and noticed an unenclosed chocblock :rolleyes: so I put a plastic box round it and brought my crimpers in next time. I could see it looked quite dirty but it was only when I started to prepare the ends I realised what I'd got :) Unfortunately I wiped it with paper towel before taking a pic, but it was actually dripping green. the sheathing was stiff and "crocodiled" and though it would probably not crack (yet) it had obviously been deplasticised.

I know the history of this house, and the cable (stranded) would have been installed in the late '60s. Subsequently CH and HW primary circuit pipes (uninsulated :rolleyes: ) were poked through the same gap, and the cable must have got very hot, which would have speeded up the deterioration. The house was subsequently rewired, but this piece must have been re-used as it was (relatively) modern PVC. I have now insulated the pipes, and put the new cable in oval conduit pushed across the void to the other joist. For the moment I have made a crimped joint as taking out the rest of that run will mean taking up a lot more carpet and moving more heavy furniture :(

View media item 1630
View media item 1631
View media item 1632

Sponsored Links
I came across some green slime in a socket I changed in my Nan & Grandad's Maisonette the other week. The old socket was a old MK one with 4 fixing screws, which was probally from when the maisonette was built. The cables supplying the socket were 2 stranded T+E's, the thing was the green slime was only in this one socket.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for being a bit dense but how does the green slime form then?! :rolleyes: :?:

Read the "similar topics" links below, and any others that they throw up.

Basically there was some dodgy PVC around for a while, and the plasticiser (or one of its components) reacted with the copper and produced this green slime.

Can cause tracking problems, and you should wash your hands after touching it - it might make you ill but AFAIK it isn't actually toxic...

nasty stuff.

I have known it to cause insulation resistance issues, although I personally wouldn't of thought it could be conductive, but it's what we put it down to after much head scratching!

Always wash it off before eating your sarnies!

has been known to cause skin irritation AIUI.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Is that a neon driver I see before me????????????

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

it's just a small insulated screwdriver of a size that fits the chocblok screws. I didn't have a VDE :oops:

I don't use neon screwdrivers for testing. I had already tested with my Steinel across the terminals and to the copper pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back