my hob oven went bang help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought some flash all purpose cleaner did not realise it was leaking to come straight to the point the bag leaked all over the top of my hob oven ,i wiped it all up and turned the hob on the top part all of a sudden i heard these bangs and sparks coming from the hob top near like fireworks so i turned it all of at the mains have now given a few days to dry out could someone give me some advice as i am very hungry want to cook something for my lunch tomorrow do you think it will be alright now it has dried out .
the hob was working :?: much appreciated reply

Sponsored Links
What sort of hob (I assume its electric from the location of this post!)

Can you describe the hob top, and we may be able to advise. A picture would be handy so we can identify the element type and possibly point out a replacement.

that link doesn't work for me. Is it like this?

http://www.topappliance.com/60cm-wide-freestanding-cooker-ceramic-stainless-steel-p-9906.html

Hobs are usually well-protected against cleaning drips and splashes. I doubt you will be able to open it up and clean it out, especialy if it has got into the switches and control circuits. I think you are going to need a Smeg engineer. It looks like an expensive cooker so worth having it properly repaired rather than run the risk of burning out the controls and having to buy a new one.

If it is a ceramic hob i don't think the user can get at it.

If it has iron plates or rings then the handbook may tell you how you can open and clean it for spillages as this also happens when a pan boils over.

p.s. the SE250X appears to be a plain oven, with no hob. like
SE250X-5.jpg

so i don't undestand where the cleaner got in. If it got into the switches then I am sure it will need an engineer.

http://www.smeg.nl/Catalogus/Product/SE250X-5.aspx

Sponsored Links
your link is very similar to the oven i have am not sure if that part is working was to scared to try it . but the top part is like a glass top but its not galss it says smeg ceran that is the part that went bang bang bang i am quite dumb when it come to diy things appreciate any help

Seems to me that you have a separate ceramic top and an oven. A fault on the hob should not affect the oven so you can have a meat pie and a rice pudding :LOL:

But my advice is, call a Smeg engineer to fix the hob. I fear it will get damaged more if you try to use it - clean water can dry out but cleaning liquid wil not go away.

f the hob has knobs on the top, I expect the liquid ran down into the switches and controls, through the holes for the knob spindles.

john you seem to know more about my oven than me. your right they are separate oven and top. talking about a meat pie is making me feel quite hungry your also right the liquid ran down into the switches and controls, through the holes for the knob spindles. that is exactly what has happened you have been a great help. thankyou for that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back