My layout for engineered wood floor, feedback appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I have knocked up the attached layout for my living room. The drawing is to scale.

Room dimensions are 4.4 x 3.2m.

The engineered boards are 180mm wide x 1800mm long - they have a bevelled edge so I feel it is important to get the layout spot on since the lines will of course be very visible. I want to make sure I have good cuts and the staggering looks ok.

I would really appreciate your comments on the layout and welcome any feedback on how this could be improved?

Note: The boards will not fully run under the hearth as this is going to be cemented to the concrete floor. I'm planning to run the boards 30-50mm underneath the hearth and then terminate them.

Thanks in advance.

Claire.

lounge2final.jpg

Sponsored Links
Stagger the boards randomly to get a more stable floor.
And don't forget you will have to keep 10mm gaps all around the floor, also at the heart otherwise you're asking for trouble.

We would normally start with a full board in front of the fireplace because that's more often than not the focal point of the room. Think this will also prevent you ending at the doorway with a very - too - narrow board.

Thanks for the feedback. I will do a another design this evening and see how it works out.

About the staggering - all I have done is use the offcut from the previous row to start the next row. Are you saying it would be better to use different lengths (which may mean cutting a fresh board) when starting the new row?

Thank you.

That's right. If your room is as straight as yours and the boards all have the same length it is quite easy to get this brick pattern, which does not really look "real". Staggering randomly will give you a more stable and real looking floor.

Sponsored Links
About the staggering - all I have done is use the offcut from the previous row to start the next row. Are you saying it would be better to use different lengths (which may mean cutting a fresh board) when starting the new row?
As pointed out, never do the brick effect with the same length off-cut, will be an eyesore, although you do use a new board for difference off-cut but you won't waste any, also the drawing correct for the longest length away from the window light, there's no right and wrong way but have fitted loads to see the difference

Ok guys, i've been working on a revised layout, see below.

Have I understood correctly when you suggested centering the first board around the fireplace? Feedback would be most welcome.

Thank you.

loungefinal2.jpg

Try to avoid to end with a very narrow piece of wood in front of your doorway. If that's not possible then indeed make sure the board in front of the doorway has more "body" beside the door like you've drawn now.

Thanks for the tip, you are very helpful :cool:

So, would you say i'm on the right lines now with the staggering?

And what about my starting board in front of the hearth and how the others are centred behind it, is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back