My mate

B

Bodd

My mates wife looks as if she's not got long on the this earth. The poor girl has cancer.

They have been married for about 18 months and he's been living with her for this time. Worried about dealing with everything, he's concerned the council will evict him from the house. Once she's gone.

Would could they do this?

Sponsored Links
I can't remember the ins and outs but in order not to be evicted, he must be on the books and known to be living there by the council. If he isn't then they will indeed kick him out.
He needs to get that changed pronto.
Sorry about your wife's friend, horrible horrible disease.

I can't remember the ins and outs but in order not to be evicted, he must be on the books and known to be living there by the council. If he isn't then they will indeed kick him out.
He needs to get that changed pronto.
Sorry about your wife's friend, horrible horrible disease.

It is horrible and it's not very nice at the moment. It seems its really hot her.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hey Bodd Im sorry to hear that.

Only married 18 months, thats a terribly short time together.

Hey Bodd Im sorry to hear that.

Only married 18 months, thats a terribly short time together.

Thank you Notch.. They knew before wedding. I think it's hard for him. Trying to earn a living and looking after her.
I've been lucky with my close family. But i think it's so common now.

I don't even like using the word.

don't even like using the word.
Indeed...I know exactly what you mean.It is so very hard for everyone involved..Sometimes it helps to call McMillan etc and just bawl your eyes out to a stranger on the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
This from Harlow Council's website:

You may be able to pass your tenancy on when you die, this is known as succession.

A wife, husband or civil partner can succeed along with a close family member, if they have been living with you continuously for the last 12 months.

Proof of occupation will be required and you may be asked to move to alternative Council accommodation

If you believe that you have a right to succeed a tenancy, you need to:

https://www.harlow.gov.uk/tenancy

Quite how he can prove he's been living with her for all that time, I'm not sure, but if he can, I think he will be home and dry.

Note the bit about potentially having to move to alternative accommodation.

Quite how he can prove he's been living with her for all that time, I'm not sure, but if he can, I think he will be home and dry.
One way that helps is to have your name (or joint names) on utility/council tax bills.

This from Harlow Council's website:

You may be able to pass your tenancy on when you die, this is known as succession.

A wife, husband or civil partner can succeed along with a close family member, if they have been living with you continuously for the last 12 months.

Proof of occupation will be required and you may be asked to move to alternative Council accommodation

If you believe that you have a right to succeed a tenancy, you need to:

https://www.harlow.gov.uk/tenancy

Note the bit about potentially having to move to alternative accommodation.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. It goes to show that we my argue bug we are all hear God each other.

Good man thank you I shall pass it on..

Sponsored Links
Back