Wife worried about her health

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

My wife who is in her early 40s, seems to be worried about her health and she wants to have a blood test to get 'everything checked', such as cholesterol levels and risk of a cancer and stroke etc. Do you think she should ask the doctor/nurse for advice on what type of blood test to have? If so, the doctor/nurse may advice for the bare minimum type of test since there have been huge cutbacks on NHS spending.

What type of blood test would you advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A FBC - full blood count should cover it.
She should be entitled to a general health check anyway, now she's in her early 40's. I think most surgeries run them now. Cover what you say, bloods, cholesterol, diabetes etc and talk about lifestyle changes (nurses tell you off!). They are not every year tho.
I hope she will stop worrying so much once it's been done. Worry about 'what might be' is a waste of time and wears a person down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggest that she makes an appointment with the 'Well Woman' clinic at your local surgery......after a few 'lifestyle' questions they will have a chat, record her weight, blood pressure and so on. She must be truthful regarding alcohol, smoking etc! They will investigate family history regarding carcinoma and similar.
They will take a blood sample and maybe a wee sample too- and this will disclose cholesterol levels, liver function and oxygen levels.
The wee sample will test for type 2 diabetes - if they don't ask for one, it should be raised as it's the disease of the day!
On the day she turns 60, she'll be asked for 3 stool smears which are a step to the awareness of bowel cancer.....:eek:
At the end of the day, your wife must be truthful concerning any fears, and the more relaxed she can be at the interview, the lower her blood pressure will be!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is she concerned for something she don't want to discuss with you, and is she feeling anxiety over something, then she should not hesitate to go to her GP and say why she thinks she is concerned, and what are her fears, GPs are very good to rest assure you and will no doubt give her all the tests she needs or what they think are necessary, including breast screening, smear test, and full blood count, she can even be referred for xrays if she suspects somthing in her lungs, is she a smoker?

There isn't a single test that will cover all the things you mention. Boots run a health check service for the NHS checking height, weight, waist, blood pressure, cholesterol and type 2 diabetes. Cholesterol and type 2 diabetes are a blood test, not urine.

http://www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-He...cy-services-support/NHS-Health-Check-Service/

Unless your wife has a specific concern or symptoms that warrant investigation, it's unlikely she'll be able to obtain other tests.

That's right, no bloods for everything. No blood test for cancer, for example (only for other symptoms such as raised levels of certain proteins), so a FBC is the best they have and can help a lot and if they come back normal, then hopefully do a lot to calm her fears.

She also may be too young to take part in breast screening as mentioned. The tissue is too dense for the x-ray to see much until older and again, they don't tend to offer those unless there is something suspected and/or have a history of breast cancer in the family.

Unless she goes private. Then she could probably have everything checked...!

I go for an 'MOT' once per year which monitors organ functions and all the stuff Blighty mentions. You give a pee and blood sample then pop in for a visit a week later for the results.

Is She overweight? Does she exercise? Does she eat much sugar? Being fit and slim doesn't just improve your physical wellbeing.

That's good news as I'm unfit and overweight. Excess and unnecessary worrying is definitely not good for you. Be concerned and act if appropriate, don't worry ,it's just a waste of energy. I wish I could follow my own advice!

A picture of your wife would be most helpful. Not being pervy, honest. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back