My Mum had a go at blowing herself up last week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Urgent help required

My Mum who is elderly and starting to show signs of dementia has got a gas fire that doesn't cut off the supply if the fire is not lit.

She left it pumping gas in to the house while she went shopping. Luckily her brother realised what had happened and sorted things out before he had a smoke!

I'm told that you can get devices that make this impossible. What are they called and would any Corgi guy be able to get one and fit it for me? She's got a fire with a back boiler that heats the central heating so it would be a big job to replace the fire. We'll do that if we have to but I'm looking for other options first.

Thanks for your help

Andy

Sponsored Links
There is a sensor about same size as a smoke alarm that goes on ceiling. Its attached to a solenoid valve that is fitted to gas supply to appliance, Cost around 200 quid i think to buy then need wiring up and cut into gas.
So can work out expensive.
OR
The fire can be isolated from boiler by turning 3 way tap off underneath or remove the knob from fire so she cannot use it

I had a similar situation with my mum in law who not only had dimentia, but couldn't physically operate the low level knob easily to turn the fire off.

Her fire could be isolated from the gas internally so that it wouldn't work, but the boiler remained active, so she could still have the heat from the central heating. If that's not enough perhaps consider adding wall mounting (so can't be knocked over) electric convector or fan heater equipped with the necessary safety devices.

Maybe someone else can advise about the safety cut out if there's no flame. I've seen them on new fires but I don't know if you could retrofit or get a replacement fire for existing back boilers.

I guess the problem with a separate sensor retrofit is that it might cut off the back boiler too, and would also need to be reset by someone, meanwhile no heat

The Alzheimers society may be able to help too.

[email protected]

020 7423 3500

get the fire isolated. buy an electric heater. any other option will be costly and complicated.

Sponsored Links
it is possible to rectify but may require the fire to be renewed with one which has a FSD (flame supervision device), if it is a fire front onto a back boiler the cost will be high and choice limited, if it is a stand alone fire you will have a much better choice and slightly less cost, an FSD fire requires the ignition to be turned and held in for a few secs to light the pilot and turned on full, so it is very safe but can be a bit tricky for some oldies to get the hang of, if she doesnt light it properly and doesnt notice then goes out, the fire will be off so it will be safe

Thanks for your replies everyone. She's using a halogen heater for now and we'll get the fire disabled.

there is a system made by Tunstall, it works in conjunction with Social Services, we have fitted a couple for the local council, this is a gas sensor (fitted in the room with the appliance), which is wired to a relay system which sends a signal down the phone care line to inform that the gas system has activated, and therefore shut off the appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back