My neighbors gas flue plumes directly into our garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbors gas flue plumes directly into my back garden. It pours onto our patio, and our bedroom window cant bee opened due to the fumes, we even have to keep the trickle vent closed. Is there a legal distance or direction to which this should be facing ?

Sponsored Links
If it's England, I believe it's covered by part j of the building regs (link below). This has some simple pictures in showing different settings. Rest of uk is essentially the same, I think, but different documents.

Modern domestic boilers should have very low NOx and CO emissions, and PM will be negligible, so your principal concern is probably odour rather than anything which will harm you (in case that makes you feel any better)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-and-fuel-storage-systems-approved-document-j

My neighbors gas flue plumes directly into my back garden. It pours onto our patio, and our bedroom window cant bee opened due to the fumes, we even have to keep the trickle vent closed. Is there a legal distance or direction to which this should be facing ?

How long had the offending boiler been on that position? Is their wall the boundary, if not , how far from the boundary

Sponsored Links
How long had the offending boiler been on that position? Is their wall the boundary, if not , how far from the boundary
The house was lying empty for years, until the new owners moved in about a year ago. We didn't experience the flue until they started using the boiler. The boiler is very old an by our neighbor's own admission needs replaced. They don't seem to be in any hurry to change it.

Attachments

• 20210405_114343.jpg
    20210405_114343.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 306

The house was lying empty for years, until the new owners moved in about a year ago. We didn't experience the flue until they started using the boiler. The boiler is very old an by our neighbor's own admission needs replaced. They don't seem to be in any hurry to change it.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...irectly-into-our-garden.568247/#ixzz6r9p3BP9J

Seems like it needs a plume kit to follow the roof line then go up vertical some distance and maybe angled opposite to the path to the window at the terminal.

Modern domestic boilers should have very low NOx and CO emissions, and PM will be negligible, so your principal concern is probably odour rather than anything which will harm you (in case that makes you feel any better)

Unfortunately, that couldn't be further from the truth...modern boilers do have much lower NOx levels but their CO levels can be extreme due to the modern burner design and minimal excess air they run with.
A correctly set up boiler will normally have low CO. ..less than 2 or 300 ppm but half a turn out on a gas valve adjustment is all it takes to produce CO ppms in the 1000s.
This is the downside of modern design, there is little margin for error...it's the consequence of reducing thermal NOx. Older balanced flue boilers were much safer with considerable excess air.

Commercial boilers push the combustion efficiencies even more and it's not uncommon to have CO ppms of 10,000+ from incorrect combustion.

If the flue terminal is over the boundary it's a non compliant installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back