My Shower - Progress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thought I'd share my progress with you.
I'm a complete novice, never done anything like this before so go easy if you see I've made mistakes. I wanted to do as much of the work myself as I could mainly because I enjoy stuff like that but also to learn.

I've been blogging my progress for my friends, so I'll just link to the relevant posts if that's ok. Please ask questions, give advice etc etc...

Thanks

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5 <--- NEW! Final part

Sponsored Links
Looks like typical new(ish) house build quality!

I know plenty of people (housebashers) who build (throw together) these houses. They admit that although they build them, they would never buy one. The ones that own their own homes almost all live in houses built pre 1980. Much of what has been built since is total carp.

The worst case I can think of is Bradley Stoke (Sadly Broke) in Bristol, where Lovell Homes built a large estate in the late 80s. They had a major problem with the mortar mix, which showed up only after people had moved in. The walls were literally falling down, and many houses had to be rebuilt.

so this is an upstairs floor, but there floor appears to have two layers with polystyrene in between? Is this normal nowadays? Does it make much difference in terms of sound insulation? Thats the only reason I can think of having it.

Sponsored Links
so this is an upstairs floor, but there floor appears to have two layers with polystyrene in between? Is this normal nowadays? Does it make much difference in terms of sound insulation? Thats the only reason I can think of having it.

The water pipes also run in this polystyrene layer which i guess helps.
the sound insulation in my house is very good, which could be down to the polystyrene.

Great job! Well done! We have found similar water damage to studding, floor and joists when we have removed our en-suite and family showers. It stank as well. We can't believe the bloke who built the house lived in it for 20 years with this going on, the ceiling below was disintegrating and he's replaced some of the kitchen floor so he must have known about the leaks.

I've updated the first post with a link to the final part of this project for those that are interested.

Took me over a year to complete due to laziness/general messing about.

I'd like to say a big thank you to the members of this forum for some great advice/help during the project.

Thank You.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back