Mystery wire in 2 way ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help, I have a mysterious wire in my ceiling!

The wife wasn't happy with the standard light fitting in the lounge so went out and bought a new one. After some extensive nagging I finally attempted the swap over today.

Disconnected old light fitting and ceiling rose (as new one was supplied with chocblock type terminals). OK. I admit it. I never bothered to study the wiring configuration and now I am confused as to how it all wires up. It's a two way switched circuit by the way.

I have studied your excellent guides on lighting circuits etc. in the sticky section and I understand the configuration of two way circuits with the switched live wire etc.

Coming out of the ceiling I have three cables. Two of these are two core plus earth. However the third cable consists of just one core which is black. I cannot for the life of me understand how this can be. Surely (if this is the switch cable) it needs a minimum of at least two cores.

I am mystified. The strange thing is that prior to me disconnecting the old light fitting, it worked perfectly via the two switches.

Can any one help........
:?:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like live to lamp from switch. Check with multimeter. One switch will have connection to power supply, the other will have a connection to the lamp. The two switches are connected by a pair of wires (strappers).

Sw1 Sw2

Hello livingdaylights, I hope this shows OK. It does sound like the switched live and, if so, should have a red tape on it. Between the two switches is probably T+E with the black sleeved red at the ends. Lamp will have neutral into rose. Supply into Sw1 may be a jumper if 2gang+. As you can see above light is off, but either switch will turn it on and then either switch off again. I can't guarantee this is how yours works, but you'll be able to power off then check for jumper inside a switch (probably furthest from lamp) and lamp to switch with multimeter or battery and bulb.
Good Luck

Sponsored Links
OOps drawing didn't come out! I'll try again.
Hold on

Thanks for your help and the diagram. :D

So would I be right in saying that the neutral to the lamp is effectively taken from the feed in/feed out T+E's via the rose. The switched live comes from the T+E from the switch (of which only one core is used)?

Yes, that's right. May, or may not be T+E from switch to lamp; if it is then only one wire will be to switch.
Hope it's working now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back