nail in water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a carpenter round to install skirting to a wall. one of the walls i told him not to nail as it had water pipes running in them, but he still nailed them in using his nail gun. how would i know if a nail went through the water pipe would it leak instantly, or be a slow leak for several days before it got worse??

Sponsored Links
Is it upstairs or ground floor?

Depend of pressure of water, if the water is off the main, it would leak instantly.
You would noticed wet patch around the area where pipes run.

If upstair, you would noticed water stain mark on ceiling.

Wait a week and see.

Daniel.

its downstairs. the pipes run up the wall to feed into the upstairs bathroom. its a hot and cold water supply. im prob being paranoid but am worried. no wet patches at moment but its only been a day.

It can take weeks or even months sometimes for the leak to show. Best way is to pull off the skirting...you'll soon see then.

Sponsored Links
If there are no wet patches and no visible signs of any water leak ,I am sure it will be fine

Dont lose sleep over it,I am sure if the chippy had a nail gun ,then being a professional he would have taken into consideration where the pipework is fitted

Dont lose sleep over it,I am sure if the chippy had a nail gun ,then being a professional he would have taken into consideration where the pipework is fitted

And pigs can fly!

I was repairing a pipe which had been nailed and the carpenters said " they had never seen a pipe repaired like that before " as if they often saw them being repaired!

And pigs can fly!!

I found a gas leak on a pipe with a nail in it since the house was built! IIRC they thought the smell was a bit of damp :eek:

I was there replacing the boiler, so we are talking years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back