nail through pipe

The OP got a call back to sort out the chippy's mess because no doubt the chippy blamed the plumber - it wasn't in his spec, so not his mess - seems you're the only one who thinks so!

He should have used a combination of his eye's and some common sense before just firing a load of nails into the wall.

You mentioned these wonder magnets which find studs earlier in one of your posts - I wondered if there was any relevance to them finding timber studs or plastic pipe?

Sponsored Links
He should have used a combination of his eye's

Is he supposed to have X ray vision?

What wonder methods do you recommend then for finding plastic pipes hid behind plaster board?

No chippy is gonna start faffing around with one of those to find pipes.

Not unless someone points out to him that a pipe run is behind the plaster board and even then he'll probably just get the glue out.

I have that thing in the image and its useless.
Try this mebbe.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNHZH0egIfU

I use miniature neodymium magnets to find studs.
The first thing we do when fitting skirts is try and locate any electrics and plumbing prior to fixing. Kitchen fitters do the same thing.

There should have been a conversation between the chippy and homeowner about services prior to him getting his hammer out the van.

Jeepers Norcs you are uber-naive about domestic building. You stick to civils boyo.

Its as simple as Noseall says.....especially after 6 months.

No definitely not.
In that situation I'd insist on the plumber doing the detecting and the nailing in the dodgy area that he left behind him.
Losing time because of others bodge work is not in my job description.

What wonder method do you recommend for finding plastic pipes?
Magnets? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The first thing we do when fitting skirts is try and locate any electrics and plumbing prior to fixing. Kitchen fitters do the same thing.

There should have been a conversation between the chippy and homeowner about services prior to him getting his hammer out the van.

Jeepers Norcs you are uber-naive about domestic building. You stick to civils boyo.

I heard you the first time and its not getting through matey.

What wonder method do you recommend for finding plastic pipe hid behind skirting?

Thats the point - He didn't have to find it behind skirting - the skirting wasn't on!

Good Night Norcon - whilst its been tremendous fun talking to you, i'm afraid I need my rest - your constant preaching of how wonderful your building techniques are in the province are now coming across as somewhat parochial and your insistence that your outvoted opinion on the situation is the correct one is becoming boring.

Thats the point - He didn't have to find it behind skirting - the skirting wasn't on!

It was on the wall before he nailed it.
Are you saying the pipe was visible with the skirting removed? D you have X ray vision?

What wonder method do you recommend for finding plastic pipe hid behind plasterboard where skirting has to be fitted?

Why would the Chippy have to bang nails into a skirting these days,( he is fixing it on Plasterboard)

There are better alternatives.

130_lge.jpg

It sounds like the Chippy has bought a new nail gun and was keen to try it out....firing nails ten to the dozen at 80mm spacing all over the skirting.

How was the chippy supposed to know where copper pipe services were buried behind plaster board? X ray vision?

Should have been protected in steel sleeving or fitted well away from the skirting location.

A bit of a debatable point, but if he was a chippy I would have thought he would have had a stud/metal detector in his tool bag, (they are cheap enough these days )
41C29QHXXDL._SY300_.jpg

The GMS 120 in drywall mode will detect a plastic pipe behind plaster board but gives the same indication on the screen as for a stud.
It will pin point the centre accurately.
So the nailer can then nail straight through the pipe . :LOL:
When the pipe is within 70mm of the stud it then becomes invisible and only the stud is detected.

When foil is on the plasterboard then all the readings go up the left.

Dunno why people continue to feed Norcon. He makes Ban-All-Sheds seem rational.

Carpenters fault pure and simple, he should have checked, stud finder, metal detector, eyes, experience. But it would be impossible to mark the position of the pipe on a stud wall, put it on the board it gets skimmed over and the plasterer doesn't care, put it on the sub floor and the floor layer covers it, alternatively someone could make a note of it and tell the person fixing the skirting "phat chance".

Personally I think stud detectors are carp so I just use an awl to find the studs and there centres then 2 inch 10's to fix.

Sponsored Links
Back