nail through pipe

No chippy is gonna start faffing around with one of those to find pipes.

Not unless someone points out to him that a pipe run is behind the plaster board and even then he'll probably just get the glue out.

I have that thing in the image and its useless.
Try this mebbe.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNHZH0egIfU

I use miniature neodymium magnets to find studs.
The first thing we do when fitting skirts is try and locate any electrics and plumbing prior to fixing. Kitchen fitters do the same thing.

There should have been a conversation between the chippy and homeowner about services prior to him getting his hammer out the van.

Jeepers Norcs you are uber-naive about domestic building. You stick to civils boyo.

Carpenters here in the province don't have too faff around finding electrics or pipework as the previous tradesman did his job properly!
You stick to house bashing and bodging.

Sponsored Links
Carpenters here in the province don't have too faff around finding electrics or pipework as the previous tradesman did his job properly!
How do you mean properly?

How does an electrician or a plumber have any influence over subsequent kitchen fits, wardrobe or bed' furniture fits, or any other fixings to walls etc, in the life of the building?

What exactly do you mean by properly?

Properly means not leaving copper pipe exposed to the danger of being nailed by the chippy.
Its not that difficult to do.

Properly means not leaving copper pipe exposed to the danger of being nailed by the chippy.
Its not that difficult to do.
What do you do with cables and pipes in the province then, run 'em all down the cavity?

All kitchen fitting chippys here in the real world have detectors for cables and pipes.

Please answer the first question - I'm intrigued.

Sponsored Links
Your real world is the world of bodgers as far as I can see.

What do you do with cables and pipes in the province?

Standard metal or plastic sheathing does not protect from drilling nor is it expected to.

You would need to install 3mm steel trunking or similar and that is impractical and not expected within UK building codes.

What do you do with cables and pipes in the province then?

Cables are fitted to stringent regulation. Look up NI building regs.
Pipework is laid below nailing depths. No pipework running behind skirting etc.
That means you would need a 4" nail or bigger to penetrate the pipe.
I've plumbed several new builds incidentally.

We actually have moved on here in the UK and use a method called drilling and fixing. Nails! :rolleyes:

Reg's do not dictate that pipes and cables should not run behind skirting boards and you will not be able to show me where it does, even in the province.

Here in the UK, codes dictate that cables and pipes can be buried to a depth of 50mm, however this is not insurance from drill damage neither is it expected to be. Sinking a pipe deep enough into a wall, in order for it to be safe from damage would be impractical and would weaken the wall.

You do talk out of your erse.

P.S.

"chasing of pipes vertically - no deeper than 1/3rd wall thickness"

"chasing pipes horizontally - no deeper than 1/6th wall thickness"

Don't tell me, over there in the province the walls leaves are a foot thick!

Muppet!

Wouldn't like moving in behind you to do a job.
Detectors needed to find the improperly fitted pipe then a pallet load of caulk to fill the gaps in the walls. :LOL:

"
chasing pipes horizontally - no deeper than 1/6th wall thickness"

Don't tell me you fit pipework in walls horizontally? :LOL:

All this bickering does not detract from the fact it was the skirting bumper who was at fault and not the plumber.

Pipes and cables are run vertically up walls and this means they can be behind skirtings, pictures, kitchen cupboards, frieze rails, and anything else that gets fixed to a wall.

Only an incompetent fitter would not check for services behind walls.

By the way i've just finished plumbing in the cloak suite.......

ed9079ee-08ff-4659-b4d7-0c6c9208dd78.jpg

good job,bit disappointed in you and your work though,why is the plunger needed? :LOL: :LOL:

All this bickering does not detract from the fact it was the skirting bumper who was at fault and not the plumber.

If the plumber has laid a horizontal run of pipe behind the plaster board where skirting has yet to be fitted then it's 100% percent the plumbers fault.
It's bodging pure and simple and giving work for the following trades.

And if the plumber can't state where his pipe is fitted then its up to him to get the detector out.
And then make him drive the nails home. :LOL:

What the plumber that finished 6 months ago? Don't be daft.....

Still, Whats the story with your wonder magnets then norcon - would they have found the plastic pipe?

Well the OP has went back to sort out his mess after 6 months and rightly so.
I'll bet they laid a horizontal run!

What detector do you recommend to find plastic pipe?

Sponsored Links
Back