nail through pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all, advise needed.

We finished constructing a extension for a client september of last year(2012).
We completed the foundations, brickwork, roof, plastering, plumbing for radiator and electrics all to the satisfaction of the building inspector and signed off with no fuss from either side, job done. However, we didn't do the skirting and the floor as they didn't know what kind of floor they were going to have. fair enough.

26th june 2013. i get texts asking who the plumber was, is he insured and we got a serious problem does your liability cover it! bemused i phone the client (past) and they have water up the walls under the floor that they had a contractor (not known too me) lay and the carpet sodden. the skirting board they had fixed by the contractor bellying out. I drive round at 6.00 pm on the evening with a friend as back up and we can here water in the cavity panic stricken we knock a hole through the wet plaster board just above the skirting near the radiator, we can see the micro bore for the rad but dont see any water. We pull away the skirting and lo and behold a nail used for the skirting (remember not done by us) has pierced the pipe smack bang in the middle! water gushing everywhere we drain the system and chuck water threw patio doors by the bucket. too cut a story short we dont get a apology or a thanks(honest) so on my wifes birthday after 2 hours we go home.

2 days ago i get a text asking me for the plumbers address for a insurance claim, so i phone and ask why, we didn't put the nail in the pipe remember, it was signed off all ok remember. the answer was that the insurance wants to settle with the plumber.

(edit) they had the skirting fitted 6 months after we finished.

Im sorry for the long winded story but it is the best way of explaining.
The question i have is this, shall i give the plumbers name to them or say its not our problem. Im stuck mentally.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt,
if you have kept records of who worked where and done what.
then why should the poor plumber get burnt when it wasnt anything to do with you.
ring them back and tell them what you found,BET you didnt take photos?
there trying it on.

Sponsored Links
indeed its the nail mans fault
i would go as far as putting in a claim for your wasted time and any parts you used
not necessarily to act on but to possibly show them they are barking up the wrong tree

as sad as it is to say it, they are probably assuming you had some guilt because you helped bail out the water. yes, no good deed goes unpunished. or you might find their mate put the akirting on.

I would definitely send them a bill for your time spent, as that's what a court would expect to see you do, if the leak was not your fault.

A big thanks guys, to be honest the answers are what i expected... and wanted! My mind is now at rest. One other amazing thing is that we are doing much the same next door and the current clients don't know anything about it!

Thanks again, happy building.

P.s Bosswhite, anywhere near shirley warren? if so give my regards.

You spent two hours, without payment, doing a load of graft, for someones else fault.

Send them an invoice for your labor.

Sent them a bill for 2 hrs or even 4hrs labour as there were 2 of you there.

Give your mate half the money and the rest to your wife, 2 hrs late on her birthday- your a brave man!

Andy

How was the chippy supposed to know where copper pipe services were buried behind plaster board? X ray vision?

Should have been protected in steel sleeving or fitted well away from the skirting location.

How was the chippy supposed to know where copper pipe services were buried behind plaster board? X ray vision?

Should have been protected in steel sleeving or fitted well away from the skirting location.

thats a fair point if it wasn't marked ??

A bit of a debatable point, but if he was a chippy I would have thought he would have had a stud/metal detector in his tool bag, (they are cheap enough these days )
41C29QHXXDL._SY300_.jpg

No chippy is gonna start faffing around with one of those to find pipes.

Not unless someone points out to him that a pipe run is behind the plaster board and even then he'll probably just get the glue out.

I have that thing in the image and its useless.
Try this mebbe.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNHZH0egIfU

I use miniature neodymium magnets to find studs.

Not unless someone points out to him that a pipe run is behind the plaster board and even then he'll probably just get the glue out.

Maybe he'll buy one now! Usually people only get caught out once like this....

Also, am I missing the point with your magnets (and I may well be)? What if the studs are timber or the pipework plastic? Surely magnets are no good?

The first thing we do when fitting skirts is try and locate any electrics and plumbing prior to fixing. Kitchen fitters do the same thing.

There should have been a conversation between the chippy and homeowner about services prior to him getting his hammer out the van.

Jeepers Norcs you are uber-naive about domestic building. You stick to civils boyo.

Sponsored Links
Back