Narrowing and fitting door frame to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am moving a door frame.
further back. In the jpg, from the existing position to behind the toilet, that is behind the wall on the left.

On the left is timber on the right is the brick parting wall 18" ??. Above is the loft space.

I need to narrow this opening, and intend to make a short stud wall 5ish inch. Do I need to remove the plaster? What size timber to to fit to the brick wall and what fittings needed please?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
How is narrowing a doorway an improvement, or have I missed something?

Sponsored Links
Presumably you are packing out to suit a particular size door?

If so, i would pack out from the masonry side in order to accommodate the archies etc.

Fix a 100mm x 50mm timber to the masonry with 100mm screws and brown plugs (7mm drill bit). Fix another one to this but pack it off the first one using suitably sized packers in order to get your 5". You should select your straightest timber for this and make sure you upright it by using bigger or smaller packers.

Then bring down the header to the correct height whilst allowing enough room for carpet etc under the door.

Presumably you are packing out to suit a particular size door?

If so, i would pack out from the masonry side in order to accommodate the archies etc.

Fix a 100mm x 50mm timber to the masonry with 100mm screws and brown plugs (7mm drill bit). Fix another one to this but pack it off the first one using suitably sized packers in order to get your 5". You should select your straightest timber for this and make sure you upright it by using bigger or smaller packers.

Then bring down the header to the correct height whilst allowing enough room for carpet etc under the door.

Correct! I will move the cupboard door in the distance (Pine panelled with hardboard removed) and fit it halfway between where it was the near wall. This will form a shower inside the bathroom.

Thanks very much Noseall, all understood.

Cheers, Camerart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back