Natural gas powered vehicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone got one ? how does it go whats the mpg etc etc

Sponsored Links
further, can you convert a diesel to run on LPG? or does lpg require a spark to combust?

crafty1289 said:
further, can you convert a diesel to run on LPG? or does lpg require a spark to combust?

The burning characteristics of LPG are closer to petrol than diesel.

Sponsored Links
I dont own one but a friend of mine has a Frontera 2.5 petrol, gets 17mpg on petrol and abou tthe same on gas. Since gas is about 1/2 the price of petrol, he gets the equivalent in value as if he was getting 34 mpg (hope that makes sense). It needs to start on petrol but it can switch over at any time and you really cant tell the difference (Not sure if they ALL have to start on petrol or if theres a problem with this one).
I have heard of gassed diesels but never seen one - aparantly it still runs on diesel but once stared runs on a mixture.

LPG Diesel conversions are possible. The diesel pump system is modified to always supply diesel at the same rate required at tickover. LPG is injected into the inlet manifold, when the air/lpg/diesel mix is in the cylinder, the diesel fires as normal by the heat induced by compression which in turn fires the LPG. Apparently a good performance increase is realised along with good economy.

Regards - J

Slogger said:
anyone got one ? how does it go whats the mpg etc etc
Are you sure you mean natural gas? Lots of disadvantages with that - if it's only compressed then you need tanks etc capable of working at '00s of bar, which makes them heavy and the energy density is very low, which makes them big.

If liquified then the energy density goes up, but tanks are still big and heavy because of the insulation needed to keep the fuel below -160°C.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas, however, is much more practical with a reasonably high energy density and being liquid at normal temperatures and manageable pressures.

Bear in mind a couple of things.

1) You can't take an LPG or dual-fuel vehicle through the Channel Tunnel.

2) The tax on LPG will go up - you may never recoup your investment.

done my homework

Natural gas comes in two forms compressed and liquid the compressed is the one i was after as i can use my own house supply via a special compressor the liquid form which the government is pushing is on the forecourts TAX reasons

they have wagons and buses useing NG with performance increases

long story short the diesel engine is set on tickover permantently so the engine injects diesel withe the gas and a butterfly valve is incorporated near the air intake this is connected to the throttle cable controlling air intake and the gas is atached to this seems very simple

LPG is another matter totally different

If it is natural gas ,dont let B/Gas service it for you ! lol..lol..lol

Sponsored Links
Back