Navien Combi Boilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you said it was 1mbar max.

I'm still saying that the type of boiler most of this thread is about, with venturi etc, is different from older ones (like mine, for example) Do you agree now?

I’ve explained it already. Your boiler in an older SE type. And yes most of this thread is about premix boilers. That’s been my point all along. ZPG as and yours is fan flued.

Sponsored Links
It's irrelevant what Navien say. In the UK there must be no more than a 1mbar drop from the gas meter to the appliances.

It makes no difference that Hard Work can suck a golf ball through a hosepipe it still wouldn't be legal over here on a 1/2" supply over that distance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
17mbr minimum 25mbr maximum. They aren’t saying 8mbr drop on the pipework is ok.
If Navien say they can get get 200000BTH's worth of gas (natural gas like ours, mostly methane) down 24ft of 15mm pipe, according to my calcs (which anybody is free to challenge) they must be assuming something like 25mbar supply to get 17mbar minimum at the boiler.
I'm a bit surprised they need 17mbar at the boiler with a negative-pressure valve, I wouldn't have expected that much valve pressure drop, but as I said before I'm not an expert on these things, just trying to look at it from general principles and maybe learn something.

Meter to appliance 1mbr. Drop on working pressure.
And how about
I'm still saying that the type of boiler most of this thread is about, with venturi etc, is different from older ones (like mine, for example) Do you agree now?

Ignore that, just noticed other reply

Your boiler in an older SE type. And yes most of this thread is about premix boilers. That’s been my point all along. ZPG as and yours is fan flued.
Yes, I know, but earlier you asserted (mostly to hard-work) that there is no difference between pre-mix and older types. It turns out that pre-mix is common, not unique to Navien (if anybody thought it was) but that's beside the point.

It makes no difference that Hard Work can suck a golf ball through a hosepipe it still wouldn't be legal over here on a 1/2" supply over that distance
So it does work then. Fantastic! That is good from someone who knows little about gas controls. Can you point us to a document that say it is illegal? That would be nice.

When there is zero flow the pressure at boiler is same as at the supply regulator. In #266 you said it drops a few mbar when flow starts, that's > 1mbar.

Sorry explained it wrong. Under working conditions WP, the drop will be more then 1mbr. But the difference between the meter will still only be 1mbr.

Standing pressure at the meter “boiler off” 21mbr. 20mbr at the boiler.

WP “boiler on” 19mbr at the meter 18mbr at the boiler.

Hope I’ve explained it better.

Navien state 17mbr as a minimum. They aren’t allow an 8mbr drop.

So it does work then. Fantastic! That is good from someone who knows little about gas controls. Can you point us to a document that say it is illegal? That would be nice.

It's all in the GIUSP I'm sure a clever fellow like you can find it.

More to the point I expect the largest output boiler that Navien supply in the U.K. Will be about 2/3rds the output of the one on your video.

Considering how much lower the output is you should easily be able to obtain an email from Navien proving us all wrong and that you can run it in the UK off a long 1/2" supply (y)

No error Bernie boy. We've actually had the boiler retested at another independent facility in the UK with exactly the same result

If you don't like it tough titties I suggest you complain to the relevant authorities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back