Best combi boiler for under £1000 supply only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, new to the forum and came across it while trying to find some info on combi boilers. Im in the market for a new combi as the one i have at the moment is unreliable, inefficient and old. My current combi is a STYX SX 20 MFF and as far as i can remember is about 17 years old. I have kept it alive myself for the last 10 years but after fitting 2 full diverter valves, 4 diverter valve rubber diaphragm, 2 PCB's 1 pressure release valve and a flue fan i think it's time to replace it. I have a budget of upto £1000 for supply only and was after an idea of what i should be looking for in regards to value for money, reliabilty, efficiency and hot water flow rate. I have a good size 3 bedroom terrace and my current boiler runs 8 radiators, 1 shower 1 bath and 2 sinks. DHW flow is important because my shower runs straight off the boiler and has a mixer tap. By the time i get any decent water flow through my shower the boiler can not keep up and runs warm at best. If i slow the shower down my boiler will heat the water up but then switch the burner off and on so my shower just cycles hot and cold. Any advice you guys have for me would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Bruno

Sponsored Links
Tried and tested;

Vaillant Ecotec Plus Range.
Worcester Bosch CDI range.

The gas supply will probably be an issue so will need looking at,but your installer will advise.

Worcesters are B*****ds to work on & repair

Vaillant Ecotec plus
Remeha Avanta

Both similar spec tried tested and reliable, and when the time comes
much easier to work on than a Worcester!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Intergas .............first last always...........less is more...........

if you want efficient simplicity.........no one seems to have serious problems
with them..........any dissenters please post facts as opposed to unsubstantiated opinions if its a serious post.

Tried and tested;

Vaillant Ecotec Plus Range.
Worcester Bosch CDI range.

The gas supply will probably be an issue so will need looking at,but your installer will advise.

Had a look at and done some reading on the Greenstar CDI and they look good. What sort of KW rating would i need do you think? Im unshure as to what i have at the moment.

Worcesters are B*****ds to work on & repair

Vaillant Ecotec plus
Remeha Avanta

Both similar spec tried tested and reliable, and when the time comes
much easier to work on than a Worcester!! ;)

I will have a look at the 2 you listed above thank you. If the WB is reliable then hopefully it will not be a problem

whos fitting it? have you agreed a labour only deal?

One of my best friends uncle is a corgi and gas safe registered engineer. He said he would look after me. How much it will cost im unshure but i will not pay over the odds. He said he will do a full system drain and fulsh, change all the radiator valves for new thermo ones and also fit a magnaclean :?:

I always used a company in southport called Ron Law to after my boiler untill i started to do it myself but when they quoted around £2800 to put a new one in i thought i would look around.

Intergas .............first last always...........less is more...........

if you want efficient simplicity.........no one seems to have serious problems
with them..........any dissenters please post facts as opposed to unsubstantiated opinions if its a serious post.

Thank you for the advise, i will have a look at the range. Is the a particular model you would recomend?

Unfortunately you have not given the most important information!

How many people live there?

What is the dynamic flow rate available from your mains supply?

How many outlets are required to work at the same time?

Without that basic information no one can give you proper advice on the best boiler/system.

I am also amused by you setting a "budget" of £1000 for the boiler!

In my view your arbitrary figure is irrelevant as you seem to have ccome to the conclusion that you want the best system/performance.

Most better combi boilers are about £600-£1100 to buy.

Most installers have their own pet boilers. Sometimes thats determined by their discounts rather than their choice of the best performance. Or in some cases they are only familiar with how to fit a few makes/models and dont want to have to learn about new types.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back