Navien Combi Boilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Navien arrived over here a couple of years ago, all fanfare and promises to do great things with their fairly unremarkable boiler (the potted PCB is a nice touch, and big flue lengths could very occasionally be useful, but that's all it's really got going for it). If they were going to make any significant dent in the UK market, they would have done by now, but instead both installers and reps are drifting away. I reckon another 2 years and they'll be gone
I would say it is a very remarkable combi myself. Integrated touch control & Smart Phone control, Stainless steel heat Xs with pre-mix burner. The flowrates on the lager combis are impressive as well. Cheap fluing as well using 2 or 3 inch drain pipes. For what they are they are very well priced. It looks like the negative pressure gas valves are not in the UK market. The potted pcb should be standard in all boilers.

Whether they stay in the UK market is all speculation.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would say it is a very remarkable combi myself. Integrated touch control & Smart Phone control, Stainless steel heat Xs with pre-mix burner. The flowrates on the lager combis are impressive as well. Cheap fluing as well using 2 or 3 inch drain pipes. For what they are they are very well priced. It looks like the negative pressure gas valves are not in the UK market.

Whether they stay in the UK market is all speculation.
Touch control isn't new, nor is smart phone control. Viessmann have had both for years, Intergas have had smart phone control on their boilers for years too, and the new Xtreme is touch screen if you like that sort of thing.

The hex is ok but the waterways are quite small, not Vaillant small but not great. The bottom half is very similar to an Ideal Logic...in fact one rep described it to me as a Logic with a stainless hex.

Is the drain pipe flue approved in the UK?

But Navien have touch control & smart phone control in a boiler a fraction of the price of a Viessmann. If the Navien in the UK say it is OK for the plastic flues, then it is, as they would have checked EU/Brit regs. They are sold in the EU, in numbers as well.

If they introduced the negative pressure gas valve in the UK then this boiler would appeal to developers. The reduction in gas pipe size and ease of location because of the fluing is a great bonus. Many boilers are sold with the flue being extra, which is expensive. Using cheap drain pipe drops the costs and all you need is drill two 2" holes in the wall. The Navien does have great advantages in the UK market. The quality must be there as it would not be the world's biggest selling combi.

Last edited:
Dannyboy, we need more 15mm pipe in this world. That is obvious. Even the dog knows that.

HARD WORK

keep it friendly and thus avoid getting this thread locked.

Comparing the Navien range with boilers from other manufactures would be useful information for people looking to choose and buy a new boiler.

Bernard, if the parts & service backup is there they look the part. Well priced, well specced and quality I believe - they use Grundfos pumps as well. They are setup in Surrey, so if you have a decent service agent near you these are well worth considering.

I really don't think touch control is a selling point, especially with smart phone control. Why would you get up and go to your boiler to adjust it when you can do everything on your sofa by pulling your phone out of your pocket? Or are there settings on the Navien that can't be adjusted using the app?

I can't think of many places where 110m of flue is useful. Sounds like a ballache to run, and you still need inspection hatches installing to inspect the joints as part of the annual service.

Selling a lot of something doesn't automatically make it good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back