Nbr claiming my garage will take away his right to light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hope someone can help me with regards to putting a garage on my land. Here goes. Last year I bought a 1970s semi bungalow to renovate and sell.I don't live there so it's unoccupied. Renovation now complete and bungalow up for sale. It does not have a garage, just a small shed. A viewer really likes it but HAS to have a garage. Turns out he arrived early for his viewing and had a conversation with the nbr of a detached bungalow next to my semi before the estate agent got there. The gist of the conversation was that the nbr said he would object to a garage because it would take light away from his conservatory and this has deterred the viewer from making an offer. I have never had a problem with the nbr, seemed a nice guy, and I had no idea he felt this way. I want to check the position about my right to put up a garage before getting back to the viewer, and speaking nicely to the nbr, and this is where I need advice. The garage would go at the bottom of the drive and be right next to the fence that forms the boundary. The nbr's conservatory is about 6 feet away from the fence and has a low brick wall with glass all the way round. I really can't believe that the garage would impact on the light to his conservatory but he clearly thinks otherwise.On the basis that the garage would be below 2.5 metres to the eaves I understand that it would come under permitted development so the nbr can't object on planning grounds. However from what I have read a person's right to light still applies even where something has been built under PD. The thing I am not sure about is the 20 year rule. His bungalow has been there for over 20 years but his conservatory is only a few years old. Am I right in thinking his objection could only be based on light into the conservatory or could he change tack and say the garage is stopping light coming into his house? Any help you can give would be much appreciated. Lightbulb moment! You'd like to see a picture wouldn't you? I'm going to go away and see if I can manage to upload one. I'll be back..........

Sponsored Links
I'm back. This picture is the best I can manage. My bungalow is the one on the left, the nbr's is on the right. The garage and the conservatory would be right opposite each other. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
bungalow 001.jpg

What is it with people not using the space bar and enter key any more?

That's more than a conservatory he has! he has 2 :D
Don't you think its just a fancy greenhouse lol

AFAIK his right to light is to rooms that have had that light for 20 years, his conservatory will not have gained that right.

Might be too late for this buyer but your best bet for the future might be to (not sure how exactly your council will do it, check on their website) put together a set of drawings for the sort of garage you envisage and chuck it their way- up here it'll cost you £24 for them to look at the proposal and tell you if it is pd or not. If they write back and say it is pd then keep the letter and plans, job jobbed (until the next change in planning legislation anyway)- if you really wanted to make sure you could put the footings in (which would protect you from legislative change).

Or you could go for pp and (assuming you're successful) the pp will be valid for 3 years- if you've not sold the place by then I think you'll have other worries.

And as above don't think conservatories count as habitable rooms for the right to light stuff- a proper extension would be a different story.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the picture the garage would be in the shadow of the fence. So you would not be cutting out his light.
Frank

Valid point HELLO MODS, could you please move this to Building Regs/Planning Permission, dunno if the OP will ever return. Ta :)

Hi, sorry to be so late in replying. Thank you all for going to the trouble to respond. Oldbutnot dead- good advice, thanks. Think I will ring council and speak to planning dept about a certificate. Frank - that fence is actually only 4 ft high, no prizes for guessing who installed it....... And yes I now realise I have posted my query in the wrong section, I'm new to this kind of thing.:LOL: If the mods don't move it I will contact them tomorrow and ask them to.

Hi, sorry to be so late in replying. Thank you all for going to the trouble to respond. Oldbutnot dead- good advice, thanks. Think I will ring council and speak to planning dept about a certificate. Frank - that fence is actually only 4 ft high, no prizes for guessing who installed it....... And yes I now realise I have posted my query in the wrong section, I'm new to this kind of thing.:LOL: If the mods don't move it I will contact them tomorrow and ask them to.
I reported it for moving so they'll get round to it. You're likely to get more responses in the appropriate forum.

Cheers
Richard

Thank you Woody, Jeds and Nige F. I found a Freephone number for RICS so rang them. They said the right of light applies to any aperture or window and 'helpfully' suggested I might like to pay for a light survey to be done at my nbr's property, and it would only cost a 'competitive' £2400:eek:. Needless to say I declined. I have also spoken to the local council who have confirmed that a garage can be built under permitted development as long as it isn't higher than 2.5 metres. Also, I have had a very cordial conversation with the nbr who denies saying any of it and says he has no problem with a garage being built on my ppty. And the potential buyer is coming back for another viewing on 28/7 so hopefully he'll put in an offer:D.

Also, I have had a very cordial conversation with the nbr who denies saying any of it and says he has no problem with a garage being built on my ppty. And the potential buyer is coming back for another viewing on 28/7 so hopefully he'll put in an offer:D.

So, someone is telling lies? What do you prefer more; a neighbour who frustrates your sale, or a buyer who makes stuff up in order to lowball you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back