nearly puncturing a water or gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a sparky, whilsting nailing down boards, nicked a pipe without puncturing it, would it contavene any regulations around integrity of pipework or if it "dented the pipe" so affecting the csa of the pipework, would it be reportable or breach the regs?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear :rolleyes: sparkys and their hammers. I'm guessing your talking about a gas pipe? Just don't turn any lights or sockets on or off or light a cigarette and open up some windows and it should be fine.... or call a gas fitter to take a look :rolleyes:

don't patronise me. I am asking a question based on another forum post. just a questions so that i can ensure complete compliance. Is that a problem?

Sponsored Links
What should a gas fitter do if they nick an insulated cable with a hand saw? The responsible answer would be to get the relevant trade to inspect it.

thankyou Niall. I am enquiring if there is a specific regulation for the reduction of the csa of a gas or water pipe?

Not aware of any specific regs, only best practice to repair any damage.

There could be a problem with pressure loss to a gas appliance if the cross sectional area is reduced yeah.
When it comes to a water pipe, if it's central heating it could cause a sort of bottle neck where debris could collect causing a blockage and slight system malfunction.
If it's hot and cold supplies run off of a mains supply there probably won't be much of a problem.
If the hot and cold supplies are gravity fed the dent could reduce the flow further.

All of the above depend on the severity of the damage.

Hope this helps mate, I was only having a bit of banter before, didn't mean to offend.

I doubt you'll have very many problems with that considering it's 22mm. Worse case you would have gone through the pipe and would need to get it repaired.

Good shout taking the board up next to it though incase the nail was plugging the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back