Need a tiler. Been let down at last minute HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone recommend me a good tiler in the Thurrock Essex area? Or somone willing to travel there.

Had tiler arranged to start next week but has decided he can't do my porcellin tiles. I told him that he should be using flexible adhesive and he looked like i was mad. In the end I didn't think he was very confident and he admitted that and said I'd better try and get someone else.

I need it done asap as the plumber can't do anymore until its tiled

Any help would really be helping me out

Rob

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that i read it on here and also another tiler told me. is this wrong?

Sponsored Links
Just to let you know you we not going mad. :)

Gcol's advice is always sound,I think he meant that you don't have to have an adhesive specifically for porcelain and that it depends on the surface your fixing to. :)

2 of the walls are fresh plaster board that i've dot and dabbed, the other walls have been skimmed over with a coat of bonding.

i must say that i started worrying last night about the tiles pulling the plaster board off the walls because of the weight.

Dot and dabbed boards will hold plenty of weight provided the adhesive is spaced correctly on the blockwork.
As for the bonding coat at the very least would need to be primed with acrylic primer although I would skim it first.

i must say that i started worrying last night about the tiles pulling the plaster board off the walls because of the weight.
In that case you should drill, plug and screw through the dab points before you tile.

Personally I wouldn't have used plasterboard in a wet area, but many people like it, so if that's your choice then you should also tank it before tiling (but after the screwing, obviously).

Gcol's advice is always sound,I think he meant that you don't have to have an adhesive specifically for porcelain and that it depends on the surface your fixing to. :)
Thanks for the kind words. And that's where I was going with that - I used to use an adhesive called Feb Fastset, which was suitable for porcelain tiles, but not flexible.
Just been tiling our bathroom floor with porcelain tiles and used a flexible adhesive but that's only because I was tiling onto ply. Just watching the grand prix while I wait for the adhesive to set up then it a quick grout and down the pub. Glad I packed up tiling for a living - you forget how much it knackers your knees. :(

They're that good that I've already bought enough pairs to last me the rest of my working life.

They're not the most elegant things in the world, but if you've seen my rogues gallery photo you'll know that not looking stupid isn't my top priority - health and safety first, quality of job second, price third, fashion last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back