Need grease for shower cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the cartridge on a shower mixer bar

Some people suggested that I should apply a silicone grease on the cartridge before fitting

What I want to know is whether this product will suffice?

Toolstation.com/1t101565

Is greasing absolutely necessary?

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that it should make it easier to remove in the future. I am not a plumber but others here have previously recommended that I grease up rubber washers to stop them sticking. I assume that your cartridge has rubber o-rings.

Personally, I find the tubes of silicone grease to be less messy.

What I want to know is whether this product will suffice?

I too was looking for some suitable grease recently. That product seemed the ticket until I read one of the reviews in more detail.

"Good quality grease, but it appears to be petroleum based rather than silicone based and is therefore not suitable for coating rubber or synthetic O rings which would be one of the main uses a plumber would have for grease."

I do think it is a good idea to grease new parts. Might make replacement eaaier in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back