Need help to change to change bathroom ceiling light!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My apologies for asking such a noob questions. I am making some changes in the house and wanted help to change the bathroom ceiling light.

I have removed the top of my old bathroom light and the connections appear a touch different from the new light. I assumed it was just a case of attaching the correct coloured wires to each end! Can any one help me to figure out where the wires have to be connected!

I have enclosed five images - existing baseplate connection, existing light connection, new light base plate,main plate of new light and the instruction leaflet.

Any help most welcome.
Megan

awz3mx.jpg

25a4394.jpg

120jgjl.jpg

30121at.jpg

2nriiyt.jpg

Sponsored Links
Red to Brown
Black to Blue
Greeen/yellow to centre connector.

It is very poor of them to show the connector in the instructions the other way round.

However, you will need to do something about the connectors at the ceiling to get them out of the way.
You could just make the hole bigger and push them into the ceiling but it would be preferable to use one of these -
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...IahbASfSzDMIqAcf92n8fjjeztGz8br3M2hoCgdbw_wcB

or if the wires will come out of the ceiling farther then redo the connections below the new top fitting.

Red to Brown
Black to Blue
Greeen/yellow to centre connector.

It is very poor of them to show the connector in the instructions the other way round.

However, you will need to do something about the connectors at the ceiling to get them out of the way.
You could just make the hole bigger and push them into the ceiling but it would be preferable to use one of these -
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html?source=adwords&kw=_inurl:www.tlc-direct.co.uk/products/&gclid=CjwKEAjw1MSvBRDj2IyP-o7PygsSJAC_6zod4C4ElQmIahbASfSzDMIqAcf92n8fjjeztGz8br3M2hoCgdbw_wcB

or if the wires will come out of the ceiling farther then redo the connections below the new top fitting.

Thanks EFLImpudence! What do i do about the yellow wire connector in image 3 (baseplate of new connection)
Do I need to disconnect the wires at the ceiling or can I unscrew them at the connection of the old light(image 2) where all three wires are connected and attach them to the connector on new light (image 4)?
Thanks
megan

Thanks EFLImpudence! What do i do about the yellow wire connector in image 3 (baseplate of new connection)
Just leave it. It connects the two pieces together.

Do I need to disconnect the wires at the ceiling or can I unscrew them at the connection of the old light(image 2) where all three wires are connected and attach them to the connector on new light (image 4)?
Thanks
It depends. As I wrote, if all the wires are long enough you can pull them down (no force).
If not then you will have to connect as above.

Sponsored Links

If not then you will have to connect as above.

Thanks so much EFLImpudence. I'll have ago either tonight or by the weekend. One last question though, do I need to go to the loft to check where to anchor the baseplate for the 3 screws? That would be a bummer! Can I use something like these or anyway to anchor the slightly heavy baseplate on the ceiling plaster?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAVY-PLAST...1-2&keywords=Hollow+Wall+Anchor+Cavity+Fixing

do I need to go to the loft to check where to anchor the baseplate for the 3 screws?
Not essential.
Likely the hole in the ceiling is (or will be) big enough for you to tell.
Feel around with a pencil.

Can I use something like these or anyway to anchor the slightly heavy baseplate on the ceiling plaster?
Yes, they are best.
Cheaper tool here: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p96740

They spread out so (mind you do not trap a wire and) cannot be placed right next to joists to which your present bracket may be screwed.
If so, you can use that for at least one of the screws.

Just a quick note to thank EFLImpudence:). I managed to successfully change the bulb. Although another ceiling light in another room has short-circuited!I guess my earthing wire in the light I replaced must be wrong. I'll have a look at it after work. But thanks so much for the help.

another ceiling light in another room has short-circuited!
What do you mean by "short-circuited"?

I guess my earthing wire in the light I replaced must be wrong.
Why do you "guess" that?

I'm not saying this to be funny or anything, but you had a light with terminals marked L, N & earth to replace with another one marked L, N & earth, and you didn't know what to do. You've now got a fault on another light and are guessing it's something it cannot be to do with the wiring you did on the new light.

It really isn't safe for you to be doing electrical work when you understand so little about it - you ought to spend a bit of time curled up with the Collins or Haynes home electrics books and/or look at info on the Internet. And in the meantime get an electrician to find and fix the fault you have.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back