Need help with a leaking stone chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1960s chalet style house with a stone chimney positioned at the front middle. A few years ago I noticed water staining down the outside of the chimney and realised that every time it rained, there was dripping down the inside of the chimney from multiple places and onto the soffits below.

I have had many builders in to try to rectify the issue, including waterproofing with Thomsons Water Seal, I've had the chimney completely repointed, cracks and holes filled, the lead flashing replaced where the dormers meet the chimney, and most recently more waterproofing with Stormdry Masonry Protection Cream.

Although the Stormdry stuff appears to have helped, the dripping persists, and I am of the opinion that over the years the stone has become so porous that some of them suck up any moisture. You can see when you look up inside the chimney void where the entry points are, but there are no visible holes or damaged pointing at those points on the outside. As a sidenote, some of the entry points are well above the dormer flashing so the dormers are not the problem.

I have spent thousands trying to fix this over the last few years, and am at my wits end. It seems that every builder I talk to has no idea what to do. Short of knocking down the chimney and rebuilding it, or having it rendered, which I understand may require planning permission, I really don't know what to try next.

Here's hoping someone may have experience of a similar problem and can help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why not post some photos of the external chimney stack and the areas you mention, and the interior chimney breast?
Research back threads ref water penetration around or inside chimneys and flues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back