Need idiots instructions for wiring tridonic ballast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help me with any easy to understand instructions/advice on how to wire this TRIDONIC PC 2/55 TCL PRO BALLAST

Here's what I did wrong!
http://imageshack.us/g/831/img0207ddu.jpg/

This is the Data Wiring sheet that I cant understand.
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0e28/0900766b80e28130.pdf

I've been trying to work this out for the last 5 years! And believe me; I've googled alott

I'm tying out forums as a last resort - Hopefully someone out there will see this post. Its my first time on any forum and as you will see, its also my first time Wiring anything up. It a wonder, I'm still alive!

Thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links
You need to work out which colours are what on those cables from the lamp holders - no way we can advise which is which, or advise further without that info.

The diagram is there in the documentation.

Have you got a multimeter? That's most likely the only way to work out which of the colours are pairs.

Can you verify what core in the cable does what on the lampholder using a multimeter? You have what appears to be a 4 core cable and 4 pin lamp holder, is the fitting plastic? Is the earth wire (green/yellow) connected to one of the pins on the lamp holder?
I don't think the ballast is meant to have flex attached to it either, definately shouldn't have any live copper showing.

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0e28/0900766b80e28130.pdf[/QUOTE]
There's little point in beating around the bush.

Leaving aside whether you have the tools and ability to identify conductors, and even if you exaggerate and mean you've been looking at the instructions for 5 days, or even 5 hours, if after that time you still don't understand this:

t326218.jpg

then electrics really isn't for you - please get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0e28/0900766b80e28130.pdf[/QUOTE]
There's little point in beating around the bush.

Leaving aside whether you have the tools and ability to identify conductors, and even if you exaggerate and mean you've been looking at the instructions for 5 days, or even 5 hours, if after that time you still don't understand this:

t326218.jpg

then electrics really isn't for you - please get an electrician.

@Ban-all-sheds : I tried to source Electricians and every one of the 9 'traders' quoted me between £72+vat to 95+vat (and that's excluding the Ballast.) The lights only cost me £20 - hence why I'm trying to fix them myself. Its a shame that today's tradesmen turn their noses up at repair work by charging too much. When electrics breakdown, we have to throw away and buy brand new (made in China) - What a wasteful nation we are! I'll keep on trying by watching this, for a start http://video.about.com/electrical/Identify-Wire-Color-Coding.htm

Thank God for the internet!

Can you verify what core in the cable does what on the lampholder using a multimeter? You have what appears to be a 4 core cable and 4 pin lamp holder, is the fitting plastic? Is the earth wire (green/yellow) connected to one of the pins on the lamp holder?
I don't think the ballast is meant to have flex attached to it either, definately shouldn't have any live copper showing.

Thankyou very much for your reply. I guess I'll have to learn how to use a multimeter. I found a video via google and I'll take a couple of days studying it and then I'll go buy a multimeter (if its not too expensive). I'll then hopefully come back with some answers and maybe an eventual solution!

I think by 'fitting' you mean the reflectors? or do you mean the actual socket where the bulbs fit into? It all looks plastic. The actual Ballast casing is Metal whilst the ends (where the wires go into), are plastic.

As for the live copper showing and flex attachment - I've learnt since then - thanks anyway.

I'll be back, around Tuesday - Hopefully allot wiser!

You need to work out which colours are what on those cables from the lamp holders - no way we can advise which is which, or advise further without that info.

Have you got a multimeter? That's most likely the only way to work out which of the colours are pairs.

Thankyou very much for you reply. Just from reading your responses on this thread, I've learnt positive lessons - in regards to the multimeter. I never previously realized that the wires needed identifying etc.

I found a video via google and I'm going to study it and get back to you all in a while. Thank you all once again.

With the mains plug not plugged in
unplugging the lamp will reveal 4 holes where the lamp plugs in, learn to use continuity on your meter, test between the lampholder holes and each wire end of the four core cable and establish what colour goes to each hole
ie 1,2,3,4 might be brown, black, grey, green for example

a multimeter or a simple continuity tester will do this ok

check both lampholders, most likely wired same

As said previous until the order is established you could quess all day and likely blow the ballast

once this is known the outputs are simple to connect, though your main supply cable will need serious improvement

unplugging the lamp will reveal 4 holes where the lamp plugs in, learn to use continuity on your meter, test between the lampholder holes and each wire end of the four core cable and establish what colour goes to each hole

As said previous until the order is established you could quess all day and likely blow the ballast

once this is known the outputs are simple to connect, though your main supply cable will need serious improvement

Thanks so much Rocky : just the info I needed to set me on the right track. I've spent the evening watching online tutorials that deal with everything bar what you've just said - At last I can do something progressive and know exactly what result I'm looking for. Thanks once again. I'm very glad I joined this forum.

Hopefully one day I can help others and make them feel how I feel right now. I look forward

"There is some good out there!"

Thanks so much Rocky : just the info I needed to set me on the right track. I've spent the evening watching online tutorials that deal with everything bar what you've just said - At last I can do something progressive and know exactly what result I'm looking for. Thanks once again. I'm very glad I joined this forum.

Hopefully one day I can help others and make them feel how I feel right now. I look forward

"There is some good out there"

Please do not take any notice of that wiring colour video that you linked.

It is American and not the same in Britain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back