Need to put ethernet points in my building, which sockets?

Also Lectrician, sorry to bother you again matey.

Since Virgin were going to bring my broadband and telephone service in at the same time I was wondering what cable and other material i would need to wire several telephone points around the building.

Also what is the difference between Slave and Master Sockets as both look the same

You best bet would be to :-

Wire double CAT5e points to every location where you think you will need a PC or phone, wire these all back to a patch panel. Get Virgin to install your socket next to the to the patch panel then use one of these kits to connect the phone to upto 4 points around the house :-

http://www.bttorj45.com/BTtoRJ45patchkitsstandard.html

So, for a data(PC) you simply plug a patch lead from the patch panel into your router or switch, for a phone point you plug one of the BT to RJ45 patch leads into whatever patch panel port you want to connect a phone to, at the other end you use the small RJ45>BT converter to convert the RJ45 outlet to BT. That way you are not tied as to which points can be used for phones or data-the whole point of a structured cabling system!

Sponsored Links
So, for a data(PC) you simply plug a patch lead from the patch panel into your router or switch, for a phone point you plug one of the BT to RJ45 patch leads into whatever patch panel port you want to connect a phone to, at the other end you use the small RJ45>BT converter to convert the RJ45 outlet to BT. That way you are not tied as to which points can be used for phones or data-the whole point of a structured cabling system!
A lot of buisnesses seem to have gone down this route but i'm not sure it's very sensible. It means you can't tell immediately if a port is phone or network. At best this is an annoyance at worst it can result in fried network gear (some network gear particularlly gigabit stuff can't handle phone voltages)

A lot of buisnesses seem to have gone down this route but i'm not sure it's very sensible. It means you can't tell immediately if a port is phone or network. At best this is an annoyance at worst it can result in fried network gear (some network gear particularlly gigabit stuff can't handle phone voltages)

No different to having a PBX system which most businesses have! Rule is always start at the patch panel end, only a fool would hard wire in phone jacks rather than use a structured cabling system. I fail to see any problems-businesses have been opertating like this for years, patch over the panel end first and there are no problems, you should NEVER assume a port is data, usually the balun is big enough clue but they can easily be unplugged........

In any case the only equipment likely to be affected is Gigabit as that uses the spare 2 pairs which are usually used for telecoms.

Thats sounds like a typical reply from someone who knows all about the system and installs it etc.

Now how about a reply from (not me) a user, perhaps an accounting clerk, a manager (most likely) or a blonde secretary.
"I plugged the phone in and it wont work, the computer has stopped working too, can you come & fix it" doh!

This method can only work if the output ports are labelled correctly to say DATA/PHONE on them.

And the little plug in bit get lost through the life of an office, as they move & upgrade.

Whats so foolish about having a dedicated data port and a dedicated phone socket? companies have been doing this for a lot more years than this suggestion and it has worked fine and the users are able to recognise which socket is which.

Now I'm not suggesting that this method is not one to follow, but it DOES have its problems too.

Sponsored Links
What's so foolish? So you have a dedicated phone outlet, you buy a DECT system so now you have no need for that phone socket in the dining room, but you'd like to plug a PC in there to get on the internet, now you have to disconnect the faceplate and punch in an RJ45 outlet, doing it the RIGHT way all you would have to do is change a patch lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back