Need to put ethernet points in my building, which sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, some of you may be aware of my big diy project which so far has gone well. I was always thinking of having a wireless network but realised that this may be an issue when it comes to file tansfers etc and besides wireless is generally more vulnerable.

Nevertheless I decided a more robust approach would be to have ethernet terminals placed in certain places for the ability to simply plug and play. I am under the impression that I need CAT5 cable for the wiring to these points but am struggling to find "Ethernet Sockets" particularly of MK brand. I want to keep all sockets lookin similar in design hence the reason MK as MK sockets and switches have been used everywhere.

So with regards to this "socket" im after, is it that it has a specific name or what.

Appreciate all help,

thanks

Sponsored Links
I only ever use Excel or Assynia faceplates and modules, but my requirements are always reliability over aesthetics.

Sponsored Links
Search for MK Euro modules ;)

You want RJ45's.

Make sure you use 35mm deep back boxes (if you want to comply to the standard).

If you are only fitting a handfull of sockets, take these back to the router/switch location, and fit 4 module plates with 4 RJ45 modules, you may obviously need more than 1 or 2 depending on how many points you fit.

If you have more than a handfull, you need to fit a patch panel.

It is common practice to fit dual plates at each location with two points in each. These can be used for phone and data, or data with printer and computer etc.

Hi Lectriciant, thank you for the reply matey.

Theres part of your reply that have somewhat confused me the terms youve used as I am pretty much new to this and not familiar with networking anyway.

Let me explain the situation and where I got this idea of placing terminals.

My initial idea was to have wireless throughout but with my business being a design company we transfer lots of data back and forth day in day out which can be an issue on wireless.

A friend of mine suggested I have terminals at each point where a computer is i.e. whereever each computer is going to be located, have a ethernet terminal wired from the hub.

So my basic understand of all this was that I have my main broadband coming into the building, the cable from the small panel goes back into the modem and from the modem I have a Ethernet Cable going into the back of a router/hub. This router hub would have to be able to accomodate lots of ethernet ports and from these ports I have ethernet cables going out and wiring into the back of the ethernet terminal we are attempting to setup. Is this correct?

The only difference I thought of was that rather than have each individual terminal with a single access, have a quad terminal with 4 access points.

Finally, can I use dryline back boxes for these ethernet sockets and also isnt RJ45 just a cat5 cable?

thanks

Your basic understanding is correct!

The only difference I thought of was that rather than have each individual terminal with a single access, have a quad terminal with 4 access points.

Do you mean having multiple sockets on each faceplate? You can get panels like that from Maplin, or MK grid as suggested above. If you got a MK grid double face plate, you could fit four sockets into each faceplate.

Remember that each socket needs a seperate cable running back to the switch.

Finally, can I use dryline back boxes for these ethernet sockets and also isnt RJ45 just a cat5 cable?

You can use dryline boxes no problem. Cat5 is a grade of cable, RJ45 is the type of plug/socket. The same as you could use electrical flex with a UK or a european plug.

BSR I was on about this type of stuff
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cat5e-Quad-4-...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Am i right in saying that each terminal is a seperate socket that is removable from the whole structure?

The structure I refer to, is this called the faceplate?

The socket I refer to, is this called the grid?

I htink one of the confusions is the wrong terms im using.

Regarding cable, what is ethernet cable actually called. I was told to ask for Cat5 cable and "it would be the right one" apparently, or do I need to ask for cat5 cable to accomodate RJ45 sockets?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ask for Cat5e UTP cable. Usually comes in 305m boxes, or 305m DUAL boxes, as most people run two cables to each point.

The faceplate is the front plate which will have either 1, 2 or 4 'holes' for the modules.

The modules you want are RJ45's.

You can place 4 x RJ45's into a 4 module plate. You then run 4 cat5e cables back to the switch or router.

Are all your computers in the same room? having a 4 module outlet would indicate this. Is so, you could just run a single cat5e from your router to this location, and then use a network switch to connect all the machines.

This way, the single network cable is only carrying ADSL traffic, and would not be used for shifting large file between the machines.

Either way, I am guessing a router which has a 4 port switch built in will not accomodate your machines, and you would need an additional switch to increase the number of ports you have.

Lectrician, once again thanks for the nice detailed reply.

Im assuming this Cat5e cable is the one my relative is giving me for free on a 305m barrel as he mentioned. Btw is this specific in colour i.e. does it come in white/black or does it not matter. Furthermore is this the same cable that can be used for cctv cameras with the aid of Baluns.

Regarding the computers, yes the quad socket i want is to accomodate 4 computer systems max but im assuming I will only need 3 of the ports since I see no point in a 4th machine just yet. The 4th port however I can use to hookup a scanner/fax machine or even a normal laser printer.

The "network" on the whole would need to however accomodate a computer system at my reception area, the design studio (where the quad socket is required), the next floor up a digital printing machine, a computer system next to the digital printer and a laptop in the office.

So from what I gather i would need to get a hub connected to the modem which has a capacity of approx 10 ports. 4 ports would be used up with the cat53 going sperately to the 4 modules in the quad faceplate as mentioned. 1 would go to the reception area where a single ethernet port would be. 2 would go to the print production area for the digital machine and computer systems respectively and 2 would go to the office, one for the laptop and one to connect my cctv system to the network.

In all these with the exception of the quad socket, im assuming i would need single port sockets?

Also a personal question for you Lectrician, would you go for a different brand of RJ45 modules? The only reason I was wanting to go for MK was because I have MK sockets and switches and was wanting everything to look the same

Also Lectrician, sorry to bother you again matey.

Since Virgin were going to bring my broadband and telephone service in at the same time I was wondering what cable and other material i would need to wire several telephone points around the building.

Also what is the difference between Slave and Master Sockets as both look the same

RJ45 face plates are expensive no matter what brand you go for, so you may as well get them to match as your wanting. Although a good quality make should look just the same anyway, they are white & square lol

There are some that angle the cable entry down at about 45 degrees so it does not stick out so much.

You can use the same roll of cable for your ethernet, cctv and even telephone wiring if you wish.
While laying the cables, it does not hurt to stick in extra cables for future use as thats the hardest bit about the job.
That 4th port will soon get used.

If you have enough of the wire available (and a single 305m may not be enough depending upon the run) then at places where your thinking of installing a single socket, it does not hurt to actually make that a double socket with 2 wires so that in future you can connect an ethernet printer etc.

matty thanks for the reply matey, regarding sockets yes generally they are rectangular but the mk ones have curved in corners and edges.

regarding telephone point wiring, since they are 4p what would I do with the extra cores?

thanks

leave them there, dont cut them off, leave the extra coiled in the back of the socket.

Because a few years down the line something may happen to damage a core & you will then have whats left as spares.

Connecting them to a ground source, only should one be available would reduce interference susceptibility, but its not completely needed if you use twisted pairs as found in CAT5 cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back