Need to re-pressurise a Thermecon 40/60 boiler-help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

After bleeding my radiators, my boiler is no longer 'firing' up. It turns on OK and the pump sounds like its working fine, but the boiler isn't making the usual firing noises and the rads are not heating at all.

I'm guessing its just due to the pressure dropping-there was an awful lot of air in the rads...

I need to get the pressure to 2.76 bar (according to the manual but I cannot see any pressure gauge anywhere! Any ideas on how I can check the current pressure?

Thanks to all replies! :)

[/list]

Sponsored Links
You need to set the pressure to 1.00bar (I don't know where you have got 2.75 from it is far too high!)

If you lift off the top casing panel, you should see the pressure gauge, it is on the left hand side, on the copper pipe to the left of the pump, the filling loop may be fitted inside the boiler case, but could be elsewhere nearby (it is left to the installer to choose the location) the reason the burner is not firing may be due to the overheat stat, this can be reset by removing a small (thimble sized) black cap on the boiler theromostat, once unscrewed you will see a white button, you need to press this firmly screw the cap back on afterwards, if the burner still refuses to fire try the burner reset button on the front of the burner ;)

You need to set the pressure to 1.00bar (I don't know where you have got 2.75 from it is far too high!)

If you lift off the top casing panel, you should see the pressure gauge, it is on the left hand side, on the copper pipe to the left of the pump, the filling loop may be fitted inside the boiler case, but could be elsewhere nearby (it is left to the installer to choose the location) the reason the burner is not firing may be due to the overheat stat, this can be reset by removing a small (thimble sized) black cap on the boiler theromostat, once unscrewed you will see a white button, you need to press this firmly screw the cap back on afterwards, if the burner still refuses to fire try the burner reset button on the front of the burner ;)

Hi Boilerman, thank you ever so much for your advice :) I did look but still couldn't see any pressure gauge. I called a local engineer who recently serviced our boiler and it turns out I have an open system, so there isn't actually a pressure gauge at all!

It turned out that the ballcock in the heating system water cistern in the loft had got stuck in the 'up' position, so all I had to do was jiggle it a bit to loosen it, and hey presto the water tank started refilling immediately. I've just bled a bit more air out of the system and now have a fully operational system and warm house once again :):)

Thanks again, all the best

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back