Needing ear defenders when washing machine is spinning!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, My washing machine is unbelievably deafening when it is on a spin cycle, I have never heard anything like it before. Its been like this for about 4 months now, what can I do....is it about to die! Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What's happening? Is it bouncing around due to imbalance of soaking towels or whatever, or is it screeching with even a light load?
John :)

Its not bouncing around but then again it doesn't really have to room to so maybe it would if it was in a more spacious area. and if I put a heavy load in that needs an extra spin, but a normal load spins fine.....not soaking wet or anything. No matter how light or heavy the load it is just so deafening when it spins.

Sponsored Links
Inside the machine, the washing drum is held, but allowed to move, courtesy of some heavy duty springs. If one of these has snapped, the drum is free to crash into the surrounding metalwork. This usually causes a heavy knocking sound, and the machine jumps about.
If your noise is more of a high pitched whine, it could be the bearings. With the machine empty, spin the drum by hand quickly......is the sound there? Also, grip the drum by the lips that attach to the door seal, top and bottom and try to rock it.....if there is a knock, it's a bearing issue.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back