Washing machine sounds like a deafening jet engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine made a hideous straining noise when I switched it on. The noise was like a crunchy choking sound which lasted for only a couple of seconds.

I turned the machine off and then on again. It now works but when spinning, the sound is deafening - like a jet engine. Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Sponsored Links
Bearings shot.
You need to post make, model etc when asking questions....

I've arranged for an engineer to visit next week, but given that the bearings are probably shot, is it still okay to use the machine which still works? The machine is an AEG, LAVATMAT TURBO, mod:LI2700VIT, 914601902 01.

Sponsored Links
This looks like quite an old machine. An economic repair is highly unlikely since the whole rear half of the tub has to be replaced. You may also have to replace the spider if the shaft seal is damaged, so it just wouldn't be worth it. As far as being safe to use...well it may limp on a little while before gasping its last feeble breath. If you must use it keep the spin speed low & don't overload it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back