Neff oven, new element triping rcd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I fitted a new 1700w element in our neff oven at the weekend, done a short test by turning the oven on for about 2 mins, all fine.

G/f went to use it later and after about 10 mins tripped the rcd, after reset if trips after about 30secs when heating up.

How can I test the element before I take it back? I have mft, what kinda measurement should I get?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
If you still have the old element, compare the lengths of the terminals between the mounting points and the spade connection, I have known replacement elements to be longer in this dimension and thus touch the back panel when the oven is re-assembled. If this is the case you might be able to bend the panel or drill holes in it to give clearance.

Ok thanks, I have checked that.

I swopped the wires round on the element, as I didn't think it would make a difference what way they where connected...and that seems to have fixed it.....

:oops:

Swapping the wires round won't make any difference unless there are 3 and one is the earth!

Sponsored Links
Swapping the wires round won't make any difference unless there are 3 and one is the earth!

Well yes, didn't make sense to me.

Oven was on for about an hour, cooking dinner, fine.

Turned the dial tonight and pop, rcd gone again. :evil:

Im guessing there's a break in the insulation, leaking to earth?

With the wires disconnected you can do a resistance check between the element mounting bracket and one of the terminals. This should read several megohms but it is not conclusive, as you really need to use a special kind of meter called a megger, which applies a higher voltage.
I think the fault might be with the thermostat rather than the element or it might even be a damaged bit of insulation in the oven wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back