Neighbour requesting I move boiler vent installed pre 2002..

Sponsored Links
Looking at your drawing, at the present time your boiler is discharging into the neighbours property. You have a number of options.
a) attempt to prove the boundry has been mis-aligned.
b) prove you have a covenant in your deeds allowing the flue location.
c) purchase that bit of land and move boundry.
d) move your boiler.

If they insist you will at cost have to move your boiler, regardless how long its been there. It has never been permissable to encroach onto neighbours land/property.

Yes adlplumbing your probably right with NCS but there is clearly more potential danger than if the flue was also NCS but on the other side of the fence. I would still be giving strong advice to have it moved. If it was mine, i'd want to check regularly to make sure the neighbour was not storing his barbecue in front of it.

I can't imagine the neighbours will roll over and accept a boundary change without a fight and I think they've got a good argument in asking the flue to be moved out of their garden. I think you're going to have to move it.

Sponsored Links
To be fair when the fence was erected it was done with nothing but happy spirits! The previous owners (of both properties) got on famously, and they have been nothing but EXTREMELY supportive during this crisis.

You know what it's like; you don't intend for things to get sticky at any point. So yeah no challenges against them - they're LEGENDS.

ddm*

do they have any family snaps from the back garden??? ;)

Namsag, the high level situtions can be seen even from a distance and it is very unlikely that an obstruction not apparent on inspection would impede the flue. This is a low level (boiler under worktop).

Surely the boiler ( and clock ) are clearly visible indoors through the window?

A photo taken from higher up should show the flue terminal.

I asked the OP where the party wall in the coal bunger was located compared with the fence.

Very unfortunately he did not seem to see the relevanct of this to his situation. Hopefully there is a small chance he will read this and remember to give a reply.

Tony

So who does the Soil/vent pipe belong to then ? if the boundary is wrong, and was the original fence the other side of it ?

From what I am led to believe, if the boundary has been in it's position for over 14 years, then it's legally become your neighbours land.

did the previous owner of your property seek the permission of the previous owner of the nieghbouring property to do this?

Yes adlplumbing your probably right with NCS but there is clearly more potential danger than if the flue was also NCS but on the other side of the fence. I would still be giving strong advice to have it moved. If it was mine, i'd want to check regularly to make sure the neighbour was not storing his barbecue in front of it.
agreed thats why i would recommend a co detector
and they some thing does happen then my back is still covered ;)

Morning chaps,

Regards the inner wall of the coal bunker - I didn't fully answer I think you're right. I put a bit on the post with the pictures.

But yes, the coal bunker is divided into two. And the split between it is, as mentioned, where the fence it. Bah.

Like I said, it could be that the party wall of the house would follow the boundary between the two sides of the coal bunker - which would follow therefore it could be argued that the boundary is actually where the fence is. Which isn't good, of course.

Interestingly someone said 'that boundary fence looks VERY close to the window' - I've never thought of that before, but now I look at it it does look a bit odd.

In view of the way forwards, we're responding with information regarding the boundary contest, but compromising that we're not making any claim to the land. We're also pointing out the within 9 months we'll be starting on an extension on the other side of the house. Even though we had no reason to, we'll move the boiler at this point - as we'll have the finance to do so. At this time, we will be happy to get into a conversation regarding boundary definition, and registration - at which point they'll be able to build on that land, and of course there'll be no flue.

Of course, they may respond with a court order to move the flue (if this is possible) - to be honest I'm not sure what they'll do. Hopefully they'll be happy with land registration and the definitive answer to the land.

Thanks once again for everyone's input - I don't think I could have even approached this without everyones help and very balanced views.

ddm*

I've always understood,possibly incorrectly, that no flue should discharge closer than 600mm toward a neighbours boundary (now 2500mm for condensing boilers).

Wow - we once owned a house where the plot was 14 feet wide - so no condensing boiler allowed at all!

You cannot direct a condensing flue towards a boundary when the point of impingement is less than 2500 mm.

But you can direct it DOWN your garden or, if permitted by the makers, upwards towards the sky.

Most current boilers have many options to direct the flue to discharge several meters from the actual terminal.

To the OP.

As the fence is in line with the bunker party wall then I would conclude thats strong evidence thats where the fence is meant to be !

However, even so I would advance the argument that the fence is wrongly located and that it should be down the garden from the kitchen wall and the neighbour should not build on the disputed land.

If they take heed of that argument, ideally in a solicitor's letter, then it might delay any action on their part until you can move the boiler later.

What about your neighbours? Are there any other houses with a similar arrangement? If so what line do their fences follow?

Tony

My house has a similar strange dog leg in the kitchen but it also has it on the boundary fence.
IE it follows the party wall line from the kitchen down the garden 6ft then comes back in on its self to line up with the party wall of the rest of the house.

also our elderly neighbours several houses down the street had their boundary fence put up the same as you as it was cheaper and easier to do it in a strait line.

Where does your coal bunker fit in with the fence?

Perhaps you and the OP are neighbours as he has not said where he is !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back