Neighbours flue in my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, ive moved into a new house recently and been exploring the loft. Whilst up there I noticed a large pipe which comes from my neighbours wall and then runs to a plastic vent on top of the roof. I'm just wondering if this is normal and what this pipe could be for as both mine and my neighbours boilers are at the opposite end of the houses and neither of us have gas fires. The houses were built in the 70's and have never had chimneys. Im going to upload a couple of pictures showing the pipe when I get a sec.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Where does your boiler flue to?

Why is it in YOUR loft?

Are the lofts all open or with dividing walls?

Sure its not yours from a precast flue for a wall gas fire ? Is it your wall it comes from or is it a party wall?
Edit for spelling

Sponsored Links
I have a combi boiler in the kitchen downstairs with a flue going straight out through the kitchen wall the same as my neighbour, there are no gas fires in both mine and my neighbours house and to his knowledge there never has been. Ive attached some images showing the pipe and where it goes into my neighbours wall. The loft has a dividing wall. Im a novice to all this so it could be completly normal but just making me wonder why this pipe appears to go into my neighbours house.

Built in 70s they will have had a conventional boiler and hot water tank.

I would say its a relic from the original system!

Tony

When you say it comes from your neighbours wall it wont do, it may look like it at that angle but its the old flue from your house

I'll bet there used to be a gas fire fitted to that precast flue. Have a look in your lounge directly below the transition block for evidence of an old fire opening. It may well have been blocked up a while ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back