Neighbours hot tub affecting our electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The neighbours have recently installed a hot tub. While they're using it, all of the lights in our house flicker a couple of times every minute or two. Just a quick flicker.

We're in detached houses in a new build estate.

Is it just something we have to live with, or is there a fault somewhere, or should the electric company be upgrading something?

Sponsored Links
You absolutely should not have to live with it.

Firstly, if it is caused by a fault somewhere, then that needs investigating and fixing, as it could develop into something which dangerously overheats.

And if it is being caused by your neighbours additional load then they need to get that sorted. They are risking disconnection of supply if they have installed something which causes problems like that, it is part of the National Terms & Conditions of supply that a significant change of load (significant as defined by the DNO) is notified.

3. Network constraints. Our obligations under this agreement are subject to the maximum capacity and any other design feature of the connection. You must contact us in advance if you propose to make any significant change to the connection or to the electric lines or electrical equipment at the premises, or if you propose to do anything else that could affect our network or if you require alterations to the connection.

The problem is, of course, that if it really is because of their hot-tub, and they didn't tell tell DNO, you've got a neighbour dispute right there.

Have you spoken to them about it? Had one of them round to see the problem while someone is using the tub?

Hot tubs these days (the type where it's a moveable (by crane or truck) and plonked on a concrete pad outside the house usually run off a single phase 240V 20amp supply as a maximum. For example, the "latest 7 seater hot springs,60 hydrotherapy jet, with 3kw heater and colour changing LED lighting" only consumes a maximum of 20amps at FLC.

Even our 25 year old in ground jacuzzi spa with 6kw heater, 1 and 1.5 kW pumps and lighting doesn't draw more than 37 amps and that's only if the heater is on full tilt, with both the circulation pump and booster/jet pump and lighting turned on. Under normal use (especially once the heater is only replacing lost heat rather than heating from cold and is only on for 10 minutes or so at a time) it's using less than 15 amps.

I'm dubious that your neighbours tub is actually causing the problem, but it is possible that it's highlighting a problem elsewhere with the DNO supply if indeed it is at all linked to the problem you're having.

A lot of electric showers consume more electricity and draw a greater current than most if not all modern (and indeed old) hot tubs and spas.

Last edited:
all of the lights in our house flicker a couple of times every minute or two

If the change in brightness of your lamps is only for a second or two and then they return to their normal brightness then it is a pump or other motor switching on that is affecting your supply.

If they stay dim ( or brighter ) than normal for more than a few seconds then it probably a heater turning on and off.

You should notify the DNO about the problem. There might be a fault ( high resistance joint ) in the DNO supply cable.

Your neighbour may not be happy if ( when ) the DNO ask them about the loading not being notified to them.

Someone else may report the matter as your house may not be the only house affected.

Sponsored Links
Doubtful it's the hot tub at all - the heating elements will be powered for lengthy periods including when it's not in use (the water will be kept hot all the time), and any pump or similar in use while people are in it would also be on for an extended period, certainly not switching every minute or two.

However there is still a problem somewhere which must be identified and repaired.

The neighbours have recently installed a hot tub.
Did they DIY it, or have it professionally installed?

If the latter then they could probably get the installers electrician back to see what he can find, FOC.

all of the lights in our house flicker a couple of times every minute or two

If the change in brightness of your lamps is only for a second or two and then they return to their normal brightness then it is a pump or other motor switching on that is affecting your supply.

If they stay dim ( or brighter ) than normal for more than a few seconds then it probably a heater turning on and off.

You should notify the DNO about the problem. There might be a fault ( high resistance joint ) in the DNO supply cable.

Your neighbour may not be happy if ( when ) the DNO ask them about the loading not being notified to them.

Someone else may report the matter as your house may not be the only house affected.

Does anybody notify the DNO when they install 11kw showers? Which will be higher current than this hot tub set up is!!!

What type of lamp? 230 volt tungsten lamps, 12 volt tungsten lamps, wire wound ballast fluorescent lamps, HF ballast fluorescent lamps, Capacitor driver LED, and PWM driver LED all will act different to voltage variations. Any PWM driver or ballast will tend to smooth out any spikes. But report to DNO anyway as said it could be a poor joint and a stitch in time saves 9.

The neighbours have recently installed a hot tub. While they're using it, all of the lights in our house flicker a couple of times every minute or two. Just a quick flicker.

We're in detached houses in a new build estate.

Is it just something we have to live with, or is there a fault somewhere, or should the electric company be upgrading something?
That will be him trying to electrocute her, for the umteenth time, but that bloody RCD just won't let him :D

DS

Hot tubs these days (the type where it's a moveable (by crane or truck) and plonked on a concrete pad outside the house usually run off a single phase 240V 20amp supply as a maximum. For example, the "latest 7 seater hot springs,60 hydrotherapy jet, with 3kw heater and colour changing LED lighting" only consumes a maximum of 20amps at FLC.

Even our 25 year old in ground jacuzzi spa with 6kw heater, 1 and 1.5 kW pumps and lighting doesn't draw more than 37 amps and that's only if the heater is on full tilt, with both the circulation pump and booster/jet pump and lighting turned on. Under normal use (especially once the heater is only replacing lost heat rather than heating from cold and is only on for 10 minutes or so at a time) it's using less than 15 amps.

I'm dubious that your neighbours tub is actually causing the problem, but it is possible that it's highlighting a problem elsewhere with the DNO supply if indeed it is at all linked to the problem you're having.

A lot of electric showers consume more electricity and draw a greater current than most if not all modern (and indeed old) hot tubs and spas.
I regularly install 32amp ccts. 20amp,are budget.

I regularly install 32amp ccts. 20amp,are budget.

Please note the bit where I said "usually run off a single phase 240v 20 amp supply" I didn't say Always

even at 32 amps, it's hardly a huge load when compared to other items available for installation on the domestic electricity installation of a property.

Does anybody notify the DNO when they install 11kw showers? Which will be higher current than this hot tub set up is!!!
Whether they do or not is not really important.

What is important is that if you do connect a large load which does cause problems you are in contravention of the agreement you signed , and you can be cut off.

The DNO DGAS about how easy it is to walk into any shed and walk out 10 minutes later with an 11kW appliance - you signed the agreement and if you contravene it AND cause problems for other consumers you are hosed.

even at 32 amps, it's hardly a huge load when compared to other items available for installation on the domestic electricity installation of a property.
Yup, they are available.

Read the Ts'nCs of your contract by which you receive electricity to run them.

Do you know of anybody who has been "hosed" or if indeed an 11kw shower or similar has caused problems with the supply?

And more to the point, do you know of anybody who has ever notified the DNO when adding said items?

I've had a look through my T&Cs and can only find the following:

"It is important that you notify us if you are proposing to increase the electrical load required by your installation. This allows us to check we can supply your installation safely and ensures that adequate voltage levels are maintained. You should also please contact us if you would like the incoming cables or meters moved or if you would like us to provide an earthing terminal."

Now to me, that could well mean that if you have say a 100 amp supply from the DNO, then (providing demand and diversity have been taken into account) as long as you don't exceed that supply capability you do not need to notify them?

I guess all DNO's have slight variations to this.

Do you know of anybody who has been "hosed" or if indeed an 11kw shower or similar has caused problems with the supply?
No, I don't.

But the good thing is I am right whether I know of anybody or not, and whether you believe me or not.

And more to the point, do you know of anybody who has ever notified the DNO when adding said items?
No, I don't.

But the good thing is I am right whether I know of anybody or not, and whether you believe me or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back