Neighbours Plans are right to the Edge of Boundry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Day to you,

Our Neighbours have just filed plans to extend their property detached property. Between the two houses there is a gap of (2300+76cm's), 2300 on their drive way and 76cm on our path that runs along side it.

Their new plans propose the development on the 2300 side, leaving a alley way of 76cm. On the side of our house there is a side door with window. There is also a step out the door within the 76cm. Accounting for the step this will leave less that a shoulders width.

It will obviously block light into our kitchen and present a wall in front of us when the door is opened. To me this is totally unreasonable, but the planner has stated since it is single story and so even if opposed it will sale straight through without a problem. Furthermore he said that it really is no different to putting up a fence on his boundary.

I should also point out that as well as the build down the side of the property, the build extends back to further extend at the rear of the house.

Naturally I wish to stop this fully.
  • We have lived at this address for more than 25 years.
  • The 2300+76cm has been used by both addresses naturally for this period, including the previous owners. For example when he has his vehicles on his 2300 portion of the drive way, his children may get out and onto our pathway.
  • We have walked over and down the drive way since moving in, unopposed and respectfully.
Is there a gap between properties that defines 'detached'?

One idea from my side is that I cannot oppose the build, then I will submit plans to also build up to his boundary, the idea being that if the properties are mm's apart then the appeal of detached disappears and his property will devalue.

My poor mother is beside herself, crying with upset. Can anyone put forward any points of assistance?

Sponsored Links
What was an airy 3 metre gap between the two houses with light into our side door, will become less that a shoulders width with little to no light. I do not see his build proposal as being reasonable.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to answer in this style, then please do not respond at all. It is not constructive or helpful, in fact your last comment demonstrates you didn't read the post correctly. Planning have not responded. My question was about how I can oppose the build and stop it from happening. Thank you.

If the 2300 is on his property, then he's entitled to put in a planning application, but that doesn't mean that you can't oppose it, whatever he thinks. Freddie thinks that this is a done deal, but I get the impression that the "planer" you mention, is actually your neighbour, and the plans have been entered, but not agreed yet, so yes, you can oppose it on the grounds of your loss of light as you've had it for over 20 years, and a single storey property will be higher than a 6f fence.

If planning have not responded then why did you post this?
the planner has stated since it is single story and so even if opposed it will sale straight through without a problem. Furthermore he said that it really is no different to putting up a fence on his boundary.

His mums worried sick, and he's unsure of how to deal with it.

looks like you can only check his gutters pipes boiler flue or window do not encroach onto your land

But that's good thing to keep and eye on. Will he have to get on to your land to do any maintenance. And if he's going up to the boundary, how's he going to finish off the outside of it without working on your alleyway.

This is a great deal more helpful, thank you for the not obstructive comments of assistance. It is difficult to build an objection when you do not know how to object with meaning.
  1. Light will be obstructed into Kitchen. Which has been there since the build x years ago and since moving into the build x year ago.
  2. Check planning application carefully to the cm and enquire or oppose if there has been no provision for drainage gutters.
  3. Check with 'someone' about underground drainage or/and services where is runs to service the two properties?
Anything else anyone can think of? I should also mention that mum has a degenerative muscle disorder, which may make access difficult in later life. Not sure if this counts for anything?

As it's a side door, the degenerative muscle disorder won't count for much later unless you can show that the side door will provide better entry/exit for her than the front door, but it might be an argument for limiting the noise and disruption caused now.

Also, have a wander around your street looking at other houses of the same style- have any of them been extended in this fashion? Planners dislike creating a terraced effect in an area of detached houses.

Another ground for objection- the foundations for the proposed wall will usually be wider than the wall (ie under your path by a few inches). Explain that you will not be giving permission for this to happen.

An eccentric foundation can easily overcome that, access to the OP's property is not essential, it can be built overhand, there's no need to overhang the boundary with a gutter, the elevation can be finished in brick. Or the neighbours can just build a few inches back to avoid any of these items, which will make no difference to the OP anyway. Or maybe, if the OP gives them a bad time they will be awkward sods and leave a nice rough looking poorly built grey blockwork wall to stare at which the OP will not be able to touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back