Neon Reef Electricity Supplier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its now time to change electricity suppiers and the cheapest one on MSE Energy club is Neon Reef. Before I hit the commit button , I would be gratefull if anyone who's using them could share their experience please .
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Never even heard of them.

I'm with Octopus, if that helps. They are Which? recommended.

They are very good.

NR seem to be good too. The reviews are positive and they are green too.

They are very good.

I went from bulb to utility point as they are a bit cheaper. Once they get enough customers they have to start paying the green tax, then they're not as cheap, and some go to the wall.

They are very good.

Thanks for that , Ive just done a cost comparison between Octopus and neon reef.
Based on my usage of 1400kwh per year neon reef is £81 cheaper per year for an 18 month fixed term.

Sponsored Links
I have just tried NR's quote system - they are only offering electric for me. I'm on a dual fuel tariff with Outfox, which I have been on since a year last November. I normally look to switch around November, using MSE's Cheap Energy's recommended cheapest dual supplier. MSE emailed me in October suggesting it would be worth switching to another tariff with Outfox, so I switched, then noticed the newer tariff was slightly more expensive. MSE then sent a second email to say there had been a glitch in the calculation and it was wrong, but too late - I had already switched.

The switch locked me into a contract until next October, but I'm not now complaining - MSE's cheapest quote now is £100 more per year than I will pay, so lucky error.

For those who can carefully control and adapt when they use the kwh, I understand Octopus offer an hourly variable tariff, where sometimes they pay you to use surplus power, charging more during peak demands. They give a few hours notice of when the cheap and expensive rates will be.

Be careful to work out your actual gas and electric usage and put those figures into the comparison sites.

I always go and check the actual price for the standing charge and kWh prices.

Be careful to work out your actual gas and electric usage and put those figures into the comparison sites.

The most honest of which, is Martin's MSE. The do a comparison of all suppliers, both the ones they get a kick back from for switching you and the ones you must switch yourself to. As said above, you need to know exactly how many kw you use of gas and electric each year, to get the very best deal for you. You can work that out from your past years bills, or you can do as I do....

I have a spreadsheet, into which I fill in my meter reading for E, G and W every Sunday morning. I then pass those numbers onto my supplier, so my bills are always accurate.

I'm with AVRO - fixed deal with no exit charges - I'm happy to submit monthly readings and under no pressure to fit smart meters.

Made a mistake in Op,tarrif was fixed for 12 not 18 months.

Anyway Ive signed up for £20.50 a month so time will tell if ive made the right decision .

Made a mistake in Op,tarrif was fixed for 12 not 18 months.

Anyway Ive signed up for £20.50 a month so time will tell if ive made the right decision .
Wouldnt have made much difference, they went belly up last week so BG have taken over my supply which means my DD will double.:(
They only had a small customer base and I think they only lasted out for this long because they only supply electric.

Wouldnt have made much difference, they went belly up last week so BG have taken over my supply which means my DD will double.:(
They only had a small customer base and I think they only lasted out for this long because they only supply electric.

Well I don't know how you are managing to get lost in the light, you must have no lights on to get such a low bill. I thought my E bill was low, bit it is 3 - 4 times yours, with gas HW and CH.

Well I don't know how you are managing to get lost in the light, you must have no lights on to get such a low bill. I thought my E bill was low, bit it is 3 - 4 times yours, with gas HW and CH.
We don't have gas in the sticks but plenty of wood , every thing is low energy and have 3.3kw of solar PV's which supply 99 % of our hot water from March till October

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-114552.png
    Screenshot_20211123-114552.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I have just switched us to Bristol Energy a couple of weeks ago, as our good fixed price deal with Outfox was at an end. I know they were all saying just stick with what ever supplier to ensure the cap, but the fixed deal they were offering for the next was just silly and their variable wasn't much better. Best I could find was the variable from BE and not cheap, but I thought it best to gamble on it getting cheaper, then keep an eye open for a cheaper fixed later. Anyway, I made a few enquiries the result of which suggested the cap would apply irrespective of switching. There gas tariff price has dropped to almost 50% of what it was when I signed up with them and the electric down by 20% - so not all bad news and better than I expected.

I wasn't even sure how variable worked or was charged for, until now when they took the first monthly payment. I have only ever had the fixed bills, with slight variation if the average use changed, then previously the quarterly bills.

Sponsored Links
Back