Nest Thermostat Gen 3 - Dual Zone Install Danfoss HPA2 valves for upstairs and downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help with dual zone wiring - Nest thermostat UK

Hi, I am following a diagram and installing the heatlink to the wiring centre. Seems all should be correct but it puzzles me that the brown wire of the danfoss HPA valves are going into the black wire of the thermostat but on my thermostats this is going into COM not NO.

At moment the plan is:

1. Blue neutral from Valve to Neutral in heatlink
2. Grey Live from Valve to Live in heatlink - remove the stats wires to use on T1
3. Orange from Valves leave as is to boiler only
4. Brown from Valves each to a corresponding terminal 3 (NO) in heatlink - remove the stat wires to use on T2.
5. Also bridging L to 2 in heatlink

The wires coming from the very bottom in the wiring centre picture are from the valves, there are also 2 loose neutrals from the stats as they were not needed. On the left are the boiler wires, the stats wires are the ones coming from the wall on bottom right.

Maybe I am overthinking but I don’t understand why the black wire from the stat is going into COM? Voltage measured on NO is 230v whilst 12V on COM on the stats…

The connectors have been also installed to plate upside down and do not match the labels but I figured based on the valves wiring.

I hope this makes sense to someone who is able to help.

Attachments

• IMG_8511.jpeg
    IMG_8511.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8532.jpeg
    IMG_8532.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Apologies for the confusion.

The valves are in the same airing cupboard and one controls the upstairs and the other downstairs heating.

All the wiring is in that centre.

Sponsored Links
Ah, much more sense. You're probably measuring the switch live which will only be 230v once switched, so why you're only getting 12v. If you're keeping x2 zones you'll need another Nest

I have two to intall just making sure I am doing the correct thing with the wires but confused to why my com stats wires seems to be going into the brown wires on the valves as I thought these needed to be for the NO?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The way it'll work is you request heat from thermostat which will send switch live (NO) to zone valve which will motor open and send another switch live from orange to boiler via zone valve microswitch.

That makes sense… shall I worry at all that the current stat has the brown wire that are going on the grey of the valves and the black that is currently on the COM on the brown of the valves on the left? I thought this needed to be the e other way round…?

Apologies for the confusion.

The valves are in the same airing cupboard and one controls the upstairs and the other downstairs heating.

All the wiring is in that centre.
Then you will need two nest thermostats and two nest receivers, dual channel means one heating zone and one HW zone it doesnt mean 2 heating zones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back