neutral stuck to insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At a job where i came across a strange issue.

The neutral cable is 'Welded' to the outer insulation.
You can strip away the line conductor and earth no problem, the neutral is just stuck to the outer insulation.

At first I thought it was an odd way of showing switched live, but I noticed it on the neutral connections also

I was concerned that this may be heat damage. but the fact that it was installed at the accessories through out the circuit with the outer insulation not stripped away make me wonder if it was an issue with the cable when installed.

Any thoughts

View media item 70828 View media item 70829

Sponsored Links
It's a fault with the manufacturing of the cable. I've noticed this happens a bit with recently purchased pyrsimian cable purchased at a reputable wholesalers.

The fact it's happening all over the circuit and always on the same conductor does make it sound like a manufacturing issue.

I'm not a cable manufacuring expert but I'd guess that they use some coating to stop the cores sticking to the sheath during manufacture and whatever was applying that coating to the neutral conductor failed.

Sponsored Links
Yup. You can call it old age when it affects the whole cable but as said, when it affects just one core, it's the manufacture.

When the cable is formed, a powder is put in between the sheath and the inner cores to prevent sticking, but in this case, it has failed to prevent that adhesion.

Do they use some kind of chalk during manufacture to keep cores and outer insulation from sticking together?.

Had this once before, and it made it a PITA to second fix. You don't notice at first fix.

Once bitten twice shy, I always try a bit from the end of the roll before first fixing.

If its unstrippable BASEC recommend the cable be returned to place of purchase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back