new alarm panel and 2 new remote key pads with old pir's and

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to upgrade/change my alarm panel and remote keypads as all buttons are sticking . will my old pir,s and bell box connect to my new panel ? i got a old pyronix system in at minute

Sponsored Links
i'd say around 20yrs old . Would you reckomend changing the lot ? might be just a quick since i will be moving alarm panel to house a larger cylinder in airing cuboard . For a basic system with 2 remote pads 1 up 1 down , 1 bell box and 6 pir's what system would you go for ?

i'd say around 20yrs old . Would you reckomend changing the lot ? might be just a quick since i will be moving alarm panel to house a larger cylinder in airing cuboard . For a basic system with 2 remote pads 1 up 1 down , 1 bell box and 6 pir's what system would you go for ?
I would. That way no old kit is going to let you down just when you think it is all sorted.
Don't forget door contacts either.

As for make make, many to choose from. Installers all have their favourites, some easier to obtain than others for those not in the trade.
Have a look at see what takes your fancy first - and meets your budget

Sponsored Links
prob not gunna bother with door contacts for decor reasons but will have a pir covering each door .

prob not gunna bother with door contacts for decor reasons but will have a pir covering each door .

you might run into problems arming the system if you dont use door contacts, but then again i could be wrong mate, (im refering to when you leave the building)

At the risk of offending, why ask for advice if you don't want to take it on board?
You need contacts.

Really good when you have the PIR looking at the door and a large letter and posties hand waves about :D

But as above what would we know :D

Lads, we are talking a DIY domestic installation here. It's not being fitted to the letter of the standards. A contact on the final exit door isn't even required for this kind of installation. I'm not saying that one shouldn't be fitted, but if the OP wants to start the entry time with the hall PIR, technically, it'll work fine aslong as it's sited correctly.

Depending on where the pirs are, how the zones are programmed and what’s left in the hall.

Someone could kick the front door in or enter via a hall window if there’s one and its easily accessible grab stuff (car keys, mobile phones, etc). Then get out before the entry time finishes.

Lads, we are talking a DIY domestic installation here. It's not being fitted to the letter of the standards. A contact on the final exit door isn't even required for this kind of installation. I'm not saying that one shouldn't be fitted, but if the OP wants to start the entry time with the hall PIR, technically, it'll work fine aslong as it's sited correctly.

So what, you say?

A contact will allow more flexibility for the system. (Part sets for example)
A contact will make setting and unsetting easier.
A contact will not activate when the letterbox is stuffed full of junk mail.

I do understand many are out there without one, and limited in the operation because of.

Why would you NOT fit one?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm just pointing out the fact that the OP's system doesn't NEED a contact on the front door for his system to work. Not ideal, but it's his choice, for reasons of cosmetics.

Agree with the part set thing. It's better having the option of setting the front door to intruder at night with the hall PIR starting the entry time.

Not sure what difference a contact makes to the ease of setting/unsetting, unless you're talking about final door set, which we don't use on unmonitored systems.

As I said, as long as the PIR is correctly sited, the letterbox should not be an issue.

Why would I not fit a contact? Personally, I would fit one every time unless there was a real issue with cabling (99% of the time its doable). Normally, I fit whatever is on the SDP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back