New Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being broken into the weekend before christmas I've decided to fit an alarm(I know its a bit late).

From reading this forum for the last week or so I've found two kits that seem to fit what I require. Which is:

Alarm with remote keypad
speech dialler
2 door contacts
3 Pir's
1 Dual Pir (For conservatory)
Bellbox
Backup battery

The kits are:

http://www.brewtime.co.uk/product-detail.asp?d=995
(I'd need to buy a dual PIR on top of this kit)

and kit 7 from here:

http://www.electrotec-alarms.co.uk/alarmkits.html
(I'd need to add a speech dialler to this kit)

1. Which would you go for? Or alternate?
2. Any bad points for either kit or anything you would upgrade? I have a budget of about £250.
3. Can I wire smoke alarms into both of these? Recommendations?
4. Can anyone recommend a good dual PIR?
5. What is an extension speaker for?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi ,
The Texecom system is better that the ADE .

Have a look at the Optex range of detectors (Security Warehouse).

The extension speaker is used for exit / entry tones and full alarm tone, and is helpful if you put the main panel in a cupboard upstairs , but you want the warning tones in the hallway downstairs.

I usually keep smokes and alarms separate.

:eek:

Thanks for the reply.

I've ordered the texecom one yesterday and its arrived today. :)

I don't think I need the extension as the alarm panel shall be mounted under the stairs with the remote panel at the bottom of the stairs, so I'll hopefully hear it anyway.

I'll keep the fire and house alarms seperated then.

I'll post back with how I get on fitting it in case anyone else is thinking of a DIY installation.

Sponsored Links
Hi ,
The R8 comes with a detachable speaker.I always mount this separately , to give better sound dispersion throughout the property , and it won't give away the location of the end station (panel) to incoming scumbags.

Ok, the installation instructions are confusing me slightly.

I think I can either wire the PIR/Contacts in either global tamper OR EOL. Is this right?

If yes, then which is better?

I'll only have one item on each zone if that makes any difference?

EOL will allow for individual tampers, ie each device can report a tamper, rather than using the global tamper.
If you only have 1 device per zone then id persoanlly go for eol.

Yes , eol will give individual tamper indication , but it can be confusing for the first timer (especially when fault finding ).Another option would be to use to the 2 spare zones as tamper circuits giving 3 separate tamper circuits ( contacts , pirs , microwave).
Why not set the kit out on a bench and have a go at wiring a few devices to it...oh , and read the manual twice :LOL:

while the above is a good idea to give individual tamper indication in a double pole system, it doest provide short circuit protection between tamper and alarm.
The tamper circuit is a different polarity to the alarm circuit so a fault (ie a nail or a defeat attempt etc) shorting the alarm pair tot he tamper pair would not be detected and both zones would remain closed.

But i agree with above DP is a lot easier for the beginner than eol.

Ok I think I have got my head around this so when using EOL I don't use the Global Tamper circuit.

EOL shall show up with which individual item was tampered with.
Global Tamper shall just show that the system as a whole was tampered with.

Actually I've just read on here that Texecom Prestige AMQD PIR won't work with my Veritas Excel. Is that true?

Lol, answering my own questions, just phoned texecom and the AMQD isn't compatible with the veritas excel.

Can someone confirm that when using EOL I don't use Global tamper.

Also is this the correct way to wire a Prestige QD PIR with EOL:

PIR001.jpg

Is this the correct wa to wire a contact with EOL:

PIR002.jpg

Thanks. :D

It beats me why you want to muck about with EOLs rather than a simple global tamper. Who do you think is going to pull up your floorboards to link out the zone wiring when you are in the house?

If you were something like a community centre or shop where people have access to the system when it's not set I could understand it, but a private residence where you have the key? Crazy man.

With the Veritas Excel panel, you have the wiring style choices.

You can do standard wiring (Utilising the global tamper)

You can use single EOL wiring like you have described

You can alternatively use double EOL, which will allow you panel to discriminate between short circuit (tamper), open circuit (tamper), zone open, and zone closed.

veritaseol.jpg

If you stick with the single EOL, then you door contact drawing is not quite right. It should be connected like this:

DContact.jpg

Thanks RF lighting, your post makes sense.

Joe, the main reason I wanted to go with EOL, is because hopefully if there is a fault it'll be easier to locate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back