new back gate. do i pay half in advance

I agree with jobandknock. 0-1/3 up front is OK. 50% is too much. And yes, it should be presented on a quote with terms ideally. Trust does work both ways. I rarely pay up front and when I do it's only ever a goodwill amount to show commitment, and always settle instantly the job is finished.

I would do similar, you sound like a decent customer, the sort of when where a proper respectful relationship can be built.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure where i stand with this one.

The sums are pitifully small. If you ordered a gate from an online joiner, with the intention of fitting it yourself or using a chippy, you would expect to pay the online/supply costs upfront.

Personally, as a small fry decorator, I probably wouldn't provide a written quote for such as small sum. That said, in 95% of cases I have been recommended by a customer. If a stranger asked me to provide a price, I would probably give them a written quote and might set up a payment schedule. Many of my long standing customers just ask me to to do the job and pay me on a day rate.

My current job... I have I under quoted the exterior of a detached double fronted house by about a month of labour (three elevations). I was recommended to the customer by the guy pointing the brick work. The customer appreciates that I have come across issues that could not have been foreseen and has already said that he will pay me more than the initial quote.

One of his neighbours with an identical house has asked for a quote. I bumped the price up to £11k and added that any significant epoxy resin splicing on the sliding sash windows will incur additional costs. They have accepted the price and are currently working out their finances given that they also need to pay for an orangery and have one flank of the house re-pointed.

That said, my GF was ripped off when some checkatrade type A hole asked for over £3,000 to buy materials and just kept the money.

You clearly don't feel comfortable, so find someone else, which is easier said than done though.

works both ways doesnt it, a deposit or bill for the timber would have been ok it just that he txt and told me what day he would be coming, and then asked to transfer the money sounded odd, anyway i wanted to know if i was being unreasonable or paranoid by not paying.

works both ways doesnt it, a deposit or bill for the timber would have been ok it just that he txt and told me what day he would be coming, and then asked to transfer the money sounded odd, anyway i wanted to know if i was being unreasonable or paranoid by not paying.

Sorry, in no way was I being critical of you.

It may even be the case that the guy is so impoverished after becoming a carpenter a grand total of {maybe} 3 months ago. I like to think that as a decorator I provide a very high quality of finish. I have how ever spent silly money repainting work done by new entrants who assured me that they were pukka.

Sponsored Links
oh no i didn't think you was, i didnt know if i was wrong or right in not paying in advance (y)

Given how often we hear of cowboys, blaggers and thieves ripping people off these days - I would not be for paying a lot up front.
I would however have the money ready & waiting on the day it's being done and would pay after I have inspected the works.

Offer him that as a compromise then.
show it to him but dont let him touch it (only smell it lol).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back