New Boiler Advice Needed Please - Ferroli?

If you put the bath on then you don't get a shower!
An unvented cylinder will not solve that problem. It will only be solved by increasing the cold water flow rate and dynamic pressure into the house.

Sponsored Links
I can't help you there I'm afraid, one I used to live on the south coast and two I'm backpacking round se Asia at the moment and living in Australia. Can answer any questions but think these guys have it sorted it seems!

One other major thing you may want to consider which wouldn't be much of a hassle if you having to upgrade your water supply is installing one or more secondary returns set on a single channel programmer to give you pretty much instant hot water at your furthest taps.
Before I left the UK I had a lot of work sorting out major plumbing and heating faults for a builder who had a dodgy plumber in to do their work. To give you an example these homes were in surrey and started around 800k, the plumber told them it was normal to waste countless litres of water because the hot water tank was approx 40m from the bath (no joke) now they get it pretty much straight away. He also told them that their kids in the 3rd floor couldn't have a shower the same time as his bath! I could rant on about all the bullshit people give you due to their incompetence but that will do for now!
As has been said on here many times you pay peanuts u get monkeys! U just need to find the right guys, try the ciphe, friends recommendations and if they say combi run! Even with a fancy driveway there are always ways round installing new water mains Sony minimal disturbance.
Once last thing the combi recommendations are maybe because they aren't licensed to install unvented cylinders.

I know all about digging up driveways... I used to work for Morgan Sindall on the Gas utilities!

However, just to update you all on where I am currently at. I decided that after the "feroli" quote man had offered to install a Worcester 28i I came to the conclusion that he wasn't listening to me and didn't have a clue what we needed. Especially as the Worcester 28i doesn't have the ability to change the heat of water from 55 and with a child in the house it's just not acceptable.

SO I've had the brainwave to check out a recommended installer from Worcester Bosch and also someone on our street! The theory behind the madness is if I can see his house from my window chances are he isn't going to screw up my boiler!

Currently waiting for quotes of a hell of a lot of work that sounds like it is going to cost a hell of a lot of money but HOPEFULLY boys I will have hot water and heating again by the end of the week :D

Sponsored Links
Good strategy, but remember he will know that too ;)

Make sure you let them know you have an idea, and a combi is not going to cut it and that you need sensible solutions to delivering 11 litres per min to two taps at once.

Even if it isn't true it will filter the haves from the have note.

Remember with stored hot water you can have a much smaller boiler that will match the heat load of the house.

My 4 bed detached needs an fraction of what even the smallest combi can provide to heating.

One day I'll get round to doing a full calculation for forum info.

You can mole instead of digging driveways up instead, it is what we would usually do to avoid disturbance but you would know about if you were involved in gas utilities.

Worcester Bosch are not the be all and end all, they have clever marketing like Apple which makes everyone think they are getting the best just because of the name. I would seriously recommend a Vaillant/Atag (I'm not on commission, honestly they are just well built products) and Honeywell controls again just because we didn't like customers calling back complaining things were not working, as much as you may like some customers you only want to see them once a year for a service once everything is up and running!!
Make sure you get a decent guarantee as well not on the manufacturers equipment but on the labour.

The guy from my street is offering all the controls to be Honeywell and the boiler would be a glowworm (Valiant?!?) He seems the most aware so I'm hoping he doesn't break my bank too much :) I now plan to spend more than I originally planned following our discussions on here so hoping I wont end up with a heart attack!

Great news, ask for a honeywell cm907/927 room thermostat rather a standard honeywell one, these slightly extra costs benefit you in the long term and if your getting a 250-300 litre hot water tank ask him if u can get a twin coil model future prolong yourself if you decide on solar panels in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back