NEW BOILER ADVICE PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Some advice please for my mother-in-law who is having a new boiler fitted on the warm front government grant scheme or similar.
At present she has a 12 year old Ideal traditional gas boiler which is about to be re-placed.
She asked the plumber to install a combi-boiler as a replacement, he gave her a couple of reasons why he couldn't fit one;
At first he said it was because he couldn't guarantee the current pipes.
Then he said it was because she had old (12 years) radiators.
Also that it would be more expensive to use as she was on a water meter.
Is he just trying to do a quick boiler exchange job without too much fuss or is he telling her the truth.
your help/advice would be much apprieciated

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the contractor doing the work but we don't fit combis to systems with pipework in solid floors but age of rads is not an issue.

I fit any boiler to any system 95% of the time, but inform the householder of the possible problems associated with leaks afterwards.

This is also clearly stated in my disclaimers.

if it's on the warmfront scheme it will probably be an ideal

Sponsored Links
search the forum on warmfront problems.
the quality of the work is highly suspect, as is the integrity of a lot of people who are involved.
it has generated thousands of official complaints and stories of hefty contributions for a poor quality system are plenty.
the most commonly used boiler seems to be ideal, which must be at the top of the ranking of boilers that fail early and frequently in their life.

I suppose it all depends on the amount off grant money available. It may not cover the cost of a combi boiler.

The prices are cheap but not that cheap! More like £1000 for all main components. Don't forget that the cost of loft insulation and cavity wall insulation also comes out of the 2700 before the boiler swap.

Also that it would be more expensive to use as she was on a water meter.
That's a good one. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Is he saying that someone with a combi will use more hot water than someone with a cylinder?

If I was unhappy with the advice given by Warmfront's installer, I would contact Warmfront and ask them to nominate another installer. After all, they will probably be asking your mother-in-law for a contribution towards the cost; so she should have a say in who does the work.

Just had a Warmfront Installation down our street. No combi fitted but a Worcester 15ri & Cylinder. Cost him extra 200quid ontop of the 2700, shame they didn't install TRV',s.!!!!

Just had a Warmfront Installation down our street. No combi fitted but a Worcester 15ri & Cylinder. Cost him extra 200quid ontop of the 2700, shame they didn't install TRV',s.!!!!

Is this legal - thought regs insist on TRV's?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back