New Boiler Advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst I appreciate the focus here is DIY! My intention on this is to use a gas safe contractor!

I need to replace a Potterton suprima 50 and as funds are low I have been looking at a vokera boiler, any thoughts on this manufacturer or their boilers? In addition to the boiler change and a system flush, what would be recommended to added or changed?

Thanks Marcus

Sponsored Links
What's wrong with the Potterton? Parts are still available, they're usually fairly easy to fix
Its 20 years old and I appreciate parts are still available! Not sure however I want to pay £280 for PCB if of course its that?

Sponsored Links
If you do replace your boiler you will need a magnetic filter installed also at boiler. Makes a good point for dosing chemicals and protects the boiler from magnetite and other dirt particles. Generally the norm now to be installed and boilers often have better warranty.
From what I hear, Vokera isn’t a great boiler.
Ask the gas installers you are getting quotes from for their choice.
Your system might be best sealed if presently open vented - either use a system boiler or a boiler that can have sealed components outside the casing (if you had space for such, like in a large cupboard or garage, etc) or a combi, as they are sealed.
I would also suggest any modifications to system are done at same time, - new rads or rad valves, etc and new updated controls

Old doesn't always mean replacement is required, and if it can be repaired for a few £100s, why would you want to spend 10x more on a new boiler?
I take your point and I have considered it, but as I said all significants parts are all around £200+.

If you do replace your boiler you will need a magnetic filter installed also at boiler. Makes a good point for dosing chemicals and protects the boiler from magnetite and other dirt particles. Generally the norm now to be installed and boilers often have better warranty.
From what I hear, Vokera isn’t a great boiler.
Ask the gas installers you are getting quotes from for their choice.
Your system might be best sealed if presently open vented - either use a system boiler or a boiler that can have sealed components outside the casing (if you had space for such, like in a large cupboard or garage, etc) or a combi, as they are sealed.
I would also suggest any modifications to system are done at same time, - new rads or rad valves, etc and new updated controls
Thank you, Its currently open vented and I have a cylinder for hot water. I was minded to go like for like as I have two power showers attached.

Thank you, Its currently open vented and I have a cylinder for hot water. I was minded to go like for like as I have two power showers attached.

Okay. If the heating system is sound and can take the extra pressure, it will be far superior to have a sealed heating system.
No air absorbing or air in rads problems and less corrosion. Also easier to work on

Okay. If the heating system is sound and can take the extra pressure, it will be far superior to have a sealed heating system.
No air absorbing or air in rads problems and less corrosion. Also easier to work on
I am not sure what you mean by sealed? Do you mean a system boiler with the loft tanks removed?

Either the Vokera easi-heat plus 18V or Mynute 20 VHE would be a straight open vent swap, they both need a permanent live but your Suprima will have that anyway, both good reliable simple boilers,the easi-heats are 5 years warranty the VHE is 2 years warranty, you are well advised to keep your Cylinder if you have two power showers

I am not sure what you mean by sealed? Do you mean a system boiler with the loft tanks removed?

To have a sealed heating system the open vents parts of it would be removed, - so the small tank in loft and the vent and feed pipes sealed off with a system or combi boiler.
The large tank in loft still would still have to remain if you keep your vented hot cylinder.
Note that you can still have a combi boiler fitted and keep your hot water cylinder if you just want to use the hot water from combi for one or two taps, or a shower, especially ideal for outlets nearby to boiler. Gives you high pressure at those outlets.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back