New Boiler Cleaning System

Status
Not open for further replies.
corgiman said:
the machine does have the advantage of being able to reverse its flow which you can do with mains but it can be a bit of a pig (cutting pipes etc) whereas the machine can go straight on the pump valves.
You can easily reverse mains flow and discharge by using a small manifold with 4 valves on it. And why can't mains flushing be done via the pump valves too? As for "cutting pipes" being "a bit of a pig", have you perhaps not heard of tube cutters?

Sponsored Links
ok Mr sarky pants you win power flushing is crap, all those who do it are crap and you are great

happy?

Bored with this now we do seem to talk the arse off powerflushing, I was in fact agreeing with you that mains flush probably does the job just as well as the machine, get a bit fed up when we all start trying to score points of each other

corgiman said:
I can see both your points but the machine does have the advantage of being able to reverse its flow which you can do with mains but it can be a bit of a pig (cutting pipes etc) whereas the machine can go straight on the pump valves.

I used to for years mains flush after leaving some chems in and allways found it ok, it did the job, the firm got a machine purely because the manufacturers were starting to insist on it so they spent 680 plus VAT on a kamco (seven years later they tight gits have brought a new one :) ) and put me on the powerflushing, which I found mind numbingly boring, and found that it wasnt that much better than a chem/mains flush (taking the rads off the wall etc etc) but it was a bit easier on labour.

I must say I like the machine and it does seem to do the job well (maybe not a panacea as some lads think but ok?)

But does anyone know if PART L and the manufactures are insisting on it? ( i would look but i am waaay too fat and lazy)

I think it comes down to personal choice at the end of the day, and speaking personally I would not be happy whacking a new system/combi boiler on an old system (i would prefer replacing all the old rads and pipework but the client usually dont want to pay for it and we aint doing it for free ;) ) without powerflushing it, I also like popping in x400 a few weeks before as well as I am a paranoid b*****d :)

Thank you corgiman and eveyone else for your input. You have all been very helpful :D :D

Spoke to the plumber tonight and he's going to drop X400 in the system 2 weeks beforehand, then he's going to use X300 and X100?? When they put the new boiler in they are taking all the rads off and will clean them outside for me as well.

Like you say powerflushing and chemical treatment do similar jobs it just seems that powerflushing is less labour intensive than taking all the rads off to clean

I was a bit worried that the system wasn't going to get cleaning properly but my mind is kind of at rest now

Thanks all ;)

Reading this with interest, no falling out please ;) we have to accept people with their own opinion and not everyone agree with me sometime so there :!:
steveb1964 said:
Spoke to the plumber tonight and he's going to drop X400 in the system 2 weeks beforehand, then he's going to use X300 and X100??
Just has a look at the X300 which is a system cleanser that flushes out the flux and installation debris so I'm assuming the X300 will have to be drained before putting in the X100 which is a inhibitor :?:

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Reading this with interest, no falling out please ;) we have to accept people with their own opinion and not everyone agree with me sometime so there :!:
steveb1964 said:
Spoke to the plumber tonight and he's going to drop X400 in the system 2 weeks beforehand, then he's going to use X300 and X100??
Just has a look at the X300 which is a system cleanser that flushes out the flux and installation debris so I'm assuming the X300 will have to be drained before putting in the X100 which is a inhibitor :?:

yep system is drained before x100 is put in ;)

steveb1964 said:
Looking at this if a chemical treatment is done properly is a powerflush needed unless there is a huge problem?

I'm getting a WB Junior 28i in 6weeks and I have yet to decide whether to go for a powerflush or get the X400 treatment (or some other chemical treatment if there is a better one)

Please could some of you experts help me on this decision. I'd like to hear from people who have had new boilers and had a chemical clean as oppose to a powerflush to see if you have had any problems

Many thanks

Energy Efficiency ticket states basic practise that when a new boiler is installed the system must be power flushed, new TRV heads, room stat, programmer and boiler interlock be installed. End of, either do it, or you don't get it past building regs and don't get your home owners pack next year.

GWP said:
End of, either do it, or you don't get it past building regs and don't get your home owners pack next year.
You're making a lot of assumptions about how the new system is going to work in reality. Don't believe everything your told by this government and its minions (Corgi et al).

GWP-Stansted said:
Energy Efficiency ticket states basic practise that when a new boiler is installed the system must be power flushed, new TRV heads, room stat, programmer and boiler interlock be installed. End of, either do it, or you don't get it past building regs and don't get your home owners pack next year.

Not sure where you have got the power flush thing from. Just rung British Gas and they said you do not need the system to be power flushed to get a home owner pack at the minute.

kevplumb said:
the H.I.P.

not in it's present form :LOL:

sorry I'm being really thick here or having a brain lapse! Whats a H.I.P?

sorry for asking a dumb question! :oops:

Home Ibuyers Pack? House Information Portfolio?

Home Iwners Pack seems most likely ("I" next to "O" on the keyboard)?

Edited to say, my mistake, I found out on Sunday that the name of the pack has been changed for some reason.

steveb1964 said:
Thanks all :D

If the plumber is going to use the X400 would you suggest it's left in for 1-2 weeks beforehand then? I want to make sure the system is clean for the new WB 28i Junior :p

Don't need x400 the x300 on it's own would be fine.

Why you going for a Worcester Junior 28i? They're not the best. Go for a baxi or better still a baxi platinum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back