New boiler time and haven't got a clue!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Was reading the M.I. for a (new) CDI today, it said in there it was a good idea, but not compulsory with a swap.
Good enough for me.

Gas4you has the relevant CHESS document that says what is and isnt req, he will probably post it

What is the legal status of CHeSS? I've never looked at it since I did the compulsory course, and it has been changed twice apparently.

The point is: what are you going to do if you have a client that refuses to have trv's installed, tell him you won't do the job?
A bit theoretical as I have never had anyone that didn't have them and categorically refused to get them.

if warmfront and BG can ignore the requirements, so can I. f&%* it. I recommend trv's and rstat to all customers, but if they don't want it I don't fit it and make a note on benchmark.

My CHeSS is 2005 em :oops:
The latest version is CHeSS 2008.

What is required when you replace a boiler is vague as it all depends on what is meant by a "zone", which is not defined in either CHeSS or the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide (DHCG - on which CHeSS is based).

The DHCG says that, on a new system there has to be two zones, with independent temperature control in each zone. But if the floor area is over 150m2 then there also has to be independent time control of each zone. It goes on later to say that temperature control can be achieved by thermostats in all zones, or a thermostat in the main zone with TRVs in other zones or a combination of both.

When it comes to replacing just the boiler it says that it would be reasonable to treat it as one zone. I could understand that if they were talking about a house which is over 150m², as it would mean possible major re-piping to divide the house into two zones. But you can divide a house below 150m² into zones by using a thermostat in the main zone and TRVs in the rest of the house; and TRVs are a negligible cost compared to the cost of the boiler.

Later on the DHCG seems to contradict itself by saying that the requirements for temperature control in a replacement system are exactly the same as for a new system.

I tell customers that they should be fitted but if they dont want them I ensure I have that in writing to prove that I told them.

On the Benchmark I usually say "to be fitted later".

Tony

OK, so I used real (not estimated figures) and included the extension and the calculator came back with 15kW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back