New boiler: Viessmann?

I bought a Viessman Vitodends 100 boiler in 2006 and had it installed by a reputable plumber.

Since then I've experienced numerous reliability problems with this boiler and have had to get get an engineer out on three separate occasions to replace a stuck internal air flap and, most recently, to replace a faulty ignition unit.

Two things you have done wrong!

You bought the boiler yourself. That means that the installer will not usually want to become involved with warrantee faults. Many will not even install a boiler which the customer has bought.

Secondly, you did not employ someone who was familiar with Viess boilers otherwise they would have removed the F5 flap and would have advised replacing the ignition unit at the same time to prevent future problems.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
I bought a Viessman Vitodends 100 boiler in 2006 and had it installed by a reputable plumber.

Since then I've experienced numerous reliability problems with this boiler and have had to get get an engineer out on three separate occasions to replace a stuck internal air flap and, most recently, to replace a faulty ignition unit.

Two things you have done wrong!

You bought the boiler yourself. That means that the installer will not usually want to become involved with warrantee faults. Many will not even install a boiler which the customer has bought.

Secondly, you did not employ someone who was familiar with Viess boilers otherwise they would have removed the F5 flap and would have advised replacing the ignition unit at the same time to prevent future problems.

Tony Glazier

Tony in my book his only mistake was buying a viessmann!

you are saying that you would supply/fit a new boiler and remove a flap and fit another part?????????? WTF are you doing fitting a boiler that needs future proofing from installation??? On mon I am fitting a 30cdi greenstar, if I had to fit a number of parts to a boiler fresh out of the box i wouldn't be fitting the boiler, its hardly confidence in the product!!

You amaze me!

and if it had been installed by an approved installer, he would have got the benefit of the extended warranty (as well as the benefit of an installer trained on this product) so he would presumably have had the ignition and flap upgrades done free.

but you should not remove the air damper. There are remedies, which can be found, as ever, by calling the Viessmann Technical helpline.

the guy on the viessman tech help line told me to "just take it out" :D

hymn sheet singing from not all same the ;)

Sponsored Links
The new ignition transformer is good advice, but you should not remove the air damper. There are remedies, which can be found, as ever, by calling the Viessmann Technical helpline.

The first time that I was going to an F5 fault which was a 2006 boiler, I called Viess for a bit of fun and spoke to MM's colleague.

His advice, delivered with a laugh, was:-

1. The flap often sticks!

2. The flap is not fitted to later boilers.

3. Removing it would mean that I had modified the boiler!

I regret it now but I just cleaned it. When it stuck the next week I just removed it !

Very oddly, that boiler had an orange ignition module which I have never seen before or since.

Tony

"get an ideal logic boiler"......you tool!

I have circa 30+ viessmanns out and about, service most of them and they're all running find.

Had a couple of issues with the older mk1's but thats now sorted.

Decent installer will know what a decemt boiler is and i would advise going with a viessmann installer.

Tim, you need to remove the slash at the beginning of your posting to enable it to display the quote properly.

This thread is about Viessmann boilers though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back